Existing Member?

Starting over at 32

airplanes/Bangkok

THAILAND | Sunday, 27 January 2013 | Views [190]

    I haven't updated this for over a week. Mainly because it's very troublesome to do on my phone/tablet and I have been too busy with other things. I'm using the computer at our hostel Baan Tai Backpackers (look it up on google). The flight to get here was pretty long. Edmonton to Vancouver was a breeze however Hongcouver (Vancouver) to Hangkok was a long flight. I had a fairly good sleep on that flight. Our flight from Hongkong to Bangkok was delayed about an hour. Between flight time and airport time it ended up being 24 hours. 

   Bangkok

This is my third time in this city and it never ceases to amaze me. Kyle and I ended up catching the train from the airport to the city which was about 60 baht (roughly $2). By the time we got to the city we had to catch a cab to the hostel which ended up being 200 baht ($6). We arrived at the hostel and it immediately exceeded my expectations. A hip urban lounge where you can do a photo op with your head in an elephants ass. We ended up staying at this hostel for 2 days. We decided to go with a private room with two beds which ended up being about 500 baht a night per person ($15). We ended up playing Jenga with some random people at the hostel and made our way to koh san road. Kyle ate a scorpion and I ended up partying with locals by myself for two hours. Needless to stay I may have had too much to drink. I tell you those buckets of alcohol hit you hard. We both felt pretty crappy the next morning and our options were to stay another night, catch a train down south, catch a 14 hour bus with ferry ride or catch an airplane. We chose a plane ride. It cost us 2000 baht each ($60) took and hour long, super small seats and this old airport literally had an active golf course next to the air strip. Getting there was an absolute gong show. Our first cab driver had some road rage and and almost got hit by a car. Starting swearing in Thai and flipping this guy the finger in the middle of traffic. Seemed pretty sketchy. We said take us to old airport. He took us to the wrong one. We still payed him. We went to check to see what kind of flights we could get at the new airport and there wasn't really anything any time soon and it would have been way to expensive. We decided to catch another cab. We haggle with one guy 400 baht ($12) and the next guy wanted 600 baht ($18) and he told us he would drive fast and he spoke perfect English. So basically we were willing to pay an extra 200 baht ($6) for English speaking skills and the promise of driving fast to the old airport. The next flight was in little over an hour. He told us it may take us 1 hour to get there we ended up getting there in about 35 minutes. This old airport looked like something out of an old 1960's Vietnam war movie. We ended up overpaying for cabs that day but we just wanted to get the fuck out of bangkok because we were hung over. I'm going to have to make some better money decisions to make my funds last longer.... 

 

About andybouchier


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.