Existing Member?

World Travels Hi everyone, thanks for following us as we experience our working holiday around the world. Love Mel & Andy

Mum and Dad's Visit - May 2008

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 20 July 2008 | Views [676]

After months of planning, in fact I think we were planning it before we even left NZ, Mum and Dad arrived in the Whitsundays.  With my little rental car I drove out to Proserpine airport to collect them.  As the plane landed and the passengers started to disembark the tears were welling in my eyes and I realised once again how excited I was to see them and how much I had missed them. It was superb weather, hot and sunny, and the aim was to get to the B&B so they could get changed as quick as we possibly could.

They weren't coming to Hayman until the following day so they could arrive as guests on their 25th Wedding Anniversary. We had a quick tour of Airlie Beach, I showed them the major sites, of which there are few, before taking the bus to Shute Harbour so I could catch the taxi back to Hayman.

The next morning as the boat came into the Hayman marina (they travelled on the flash boat) we waited by the pontoon for them to officially arrive on Hayman.  They received the grand tour before we relaxed with lunch, French champagne to celebrate in the afternoon and a special dinner in a little cabana on the beach side. Too much food! As it turns out this was to be a trend for the rest of their stay.

Mum and Dad had two nights stay in the resort and two nights stay in the staff village.  We ate out every night - tried all the restaurants with the exception of La Fontaine due to having the first dinner on the beach.  By the time the last night came around, we were eating at Andy's Restaurant, I got home and was so violently ill, not because the food was bad, in fact it was beautiful, but I had eaten so much in 4 days it was ridiculous!

It wasn't that we hadn't tried to work it off, we went Scuba Diving around at Blue Pearl Bay II, visibility wasn't excellent but it was great to see Mum back in the water Scuba Diving again. We walked to the top of the island, to Cook's Lookout to see the spectacular view, and we managed to get some sun-bathing and swimming in also (well Mum and Dad did).

It wasn't until the fifth day that Andy finally got leave and so leave we did, we went back to Airlie Beach and stayed in an apartment for three nights.  Ahhh, some normality! A lounge and kitchen for us to laze about in, takeaways for dinner and a street filled with strangers.  All these things that may sound a bit strange to most of you, but I assure you after living on a small island where everyone knows everyone it is excellent to get away.

We didn't do too much, just relaxed really which was perfect. We walked around the boardwalk from Airlie Beach to Cannonvale - right along the waterline (through a marina just for Dad!).  We drove a lot.  

Up to Bowen on the first day, went out to Horseshoe Bay and bought icecream for a Scottish street vendor who didn't know how to stop talking. Either that or he was hoping if we stood there long enough we'd buy another round.

Down to Mackay also, saw the dead kangaroos on the side of the road - were hoping to see live ones at dusk but alas, nothing. The highlight was going to the shopping centre, boy had I missed shopping centres - it was excellent, bought things like socks and underwear and work trousers (how crazy is it that we get excited about that!?!

Drove to a few local scenic spots also, because we could really and because we felt we should.  Exciting moment though: We saw live wild kangaroos! Andy got so excited, Dad slammed on the brakes, spun the car around, sped back to the farm and sure enough about half a dozen of them hopped across the grass into the bushes. So they are real! I don't think Andy was convinced until that moment.

We had to leave the next day - back to the island to work, it had been so brilliant having a bit of a holiday and of course seeing mum and dad.  I didn't want them to leave but we'll see them again soon, back at home in NZ.

About andrewp-melissar


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.