Existing Member?

World Travels Hi everyone, thanks for following us as we experience our working holiday around the world. Love Mel & Andy

Anna and Jamie's Visit - March 2008

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 15 July 2008 | Views [1124]

Getting ready to board our helicopter

Getting ready to board our helicopter

As a few of you are aware we had two of our good friends come and visit us on the island for a week or so in early March. Anna and Jamie were on their way from NZ to London with a few stops along the way, one of which was Hayman Island, Great Barrier Reef, our current home.

It was so great to see familiar faces after our first 3 months of getting used to the island. They stayed with us in the staff village, enjoying the delights that the staff village has to offer. Unfortunately we really didn't have the most perfect weather while they were here, and while the photos suggest that the sun was shining, the boats to the outer reef were cancelled, the visibility in the water was shocking due to the bad winds so diving was out....we just had to make our own fun!

We did manage to eat out a lot, we went to La Trattoria (Mel's restaurant), we all went to Oriental and then they went to Azure (Andy's restaurant) one night by themselves. Unfortunately we both had to work during their stay but we still got to do a few things.

We spent one afternoon on Langford, a sand spit that at very low tide connects with Langford Island, which is located directly across from Hayman. When it's not too windy it is sensationaland if you are the first one there (and sometimes the only one there all day) it is your own private beach. With the combination of some snorkeling, some sunbathing, watching crazy daytrippers play tug of war in the water and a few drinks....it all equals a perfect afternoon.

We made it around to Blue Pearl Bay II, a secluded bay around the back of the island, one of the most popular snorkeling and diving spots in the Whitsundays, and a spot wherhe their newly purchased snorkeling equipment was put to good use, you were glad for those booties on that coral beach aye guys? While the visibility wasn't great I think the reef and more so the fish life made a great impression. See some of the photos that they both took on their new underwater camera for a glimpse of what we saw.

And finally after all our planned trips being cancelled we decided to splurge, we weren't going to do it again and now was as good a time as any....we took a helicopter (at a huge expense!) out to a pontoon in the outer reef to do soe more snorkeling and see the Whitsunday's from the air. The weather predictably wasn't spectacular which made the snorkeling a bit rough, but still sensational, however the helicopter trip was amazing, the views and the flight and the whole experience was phenomenal.

Then they had to leave.....it was awful to see them go but it was excellent having them here and we'll see them very shortly in New York or Canada and definitely London...eventually!

 

About andrewp-melissar


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.