Existing Member?

Olivers Travels A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...

Sydney

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 29 December 2007 | Views [635] | Comments [4]

25th December 2007: -  Well this is a first for both Drew & I, Christmas day on a plane.  We both can not wait to touch down in Sydney.  We try to get into the Christmas spirit & don Santa hats & tinsel on our bags.  We got a few funny look whilst walking through the airport, hilar!  No Christmas dinner on the plane so we are glad that we had it yesterday.  Arrived in Sydney @ about 19.30.  Once through arrivals we phoned family & friends to wish them happy Christmas, sounds like you all had fun.  Our apartment id very neat & tidy with everything you could want.  Including a nice bunch of flowers, chocolates & wine from Drews Mum & Mick.  Chocolates & wine went down a treat, thank-you ever so much it made us feel part of your Christmas.  Oh by the way Pat, Justin says hi! 

26th December 2007: -  Today we got up pretty late, however we were still in time to have a bit of Breakfast down stairs.  Our aim for today was to go & see the start of the Sydney to Hobart Yacht race as suggested to us by Roma.  Unfortunately we did not make it & we walked around Sydney harbor V disappointed.  We took photos of the majestic Opera house sitting on the edge of the Harbor.  Crowds of people gather to have pictures taken in the hot afternoon sun.  The temp is not bad here, there a nice breeze to cool you down.  However I managed to get burnt for the first time on our trip & we have been to hotter places than this.  The Harbor bridge looks like it is getting ready for the new year celebrations.  Drew & I are still not too sure we will climb it, as it is much more expensive than we thought. 

27th December 2007: - Today a day late we head to Watsons Bay, this would have been the place to see the yachts yesterday, never mind.  We catch a ferry from Circular Quay to Watsons Bay.  Our ticket for the week is only 15 pounds each for the train, ferry & buses, such a bargain catching the ferry is a fab way to see your surroundings & is fairly reliable.  Once @ Watsons bay we head to Doyles where we bought a v nice portion of chips to go with our Turkey sandwiches (yes we had a turkey dinner yersterday).  We sit down on the green watching cheeky seagulls trying to get some food from fellow picnic goers.  I must say that there are not that many Christmas decs heree in Sydney, there were a lot more in KL than here.  A bit sissapointing & kind of does not feel like the Christmas period.

 

28th December 2007: - This morning we set our alarm for 8am so that we have a decent chance to get out of the apartment @ a reasonable time.  We head to George street & purchase a phone for use in Oz.  You should all now have this in your Inbox.  Our 2nd stop was Qantas where we have changed the dates of our flights to resemble those on the itinerary everyone has.  Today was an extrenly hot day, with hardly any clouds in the sky, so shade was always welcomed.  Today we would liek to thank Brenners & Jeffers for their advice on Ice Cube, we sat there & had a drink on you looking over the few in darling harbor.  After our aftrenoon drinkh we headed to the Maritime museuam where we saw some interesting exhibats, including a touring exhibit of Otsi the iceman.  Our last visit of the day was to Sydney Aquriam where we spent 2 hours walking wround looking in all the tanks.  We were a bit dissapointed we did not get to see the platapus, as it was hiding very well.  Oh Happy Birthday Tracey.

29th December 2007: - Today we have as you guessed been updating the blog.  At the moment we are having probs with downloading our pics but as soon as we are able we will post new ones.  Afetr our morning of fun we will be joining our friends to celebrat a birthday here in Sydney.  Will let you know how that goes in the next updat.

 

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Hi to you both, trust that you are now fully recharged after your relaxing holiday. Hope you had as good a Christmas as you can stuck in an aircraft and have a great New Year. Let us know if the Aussie fireworks are as good as they look on TV!
Best wishes Nev & co.

  Paul Dec 30, 2007 2:07 AM

2

Hi there, sounds like you have had a nice relaxing few days. Thankyou for your Christmas wishes, & your Christmas card, how orginised are you!!!!!
Hope you enjoy your new year celebrations, we are going to the village hall for a '60's boogie', sounds very boring compared to you two!
We are very jealous of the next stage of your jounrney in the camper van, Pat says if you see any large 'road train lorries', he would love a photo.
Have wonderful time, take care,
Love Jacky, Pat & Laura xxx
P.S. Laura got engaged on Chistmas day!

  Jacky Pat & Laura Dec 30, 2007 10:21 PM

3

hi michelle and drew it was lovely to here from you the other day have a wonderful new year we will all be thinking of you have a safe journey on your long trek.love nana x

hello michelle and drew thank you very much for my birthday card and birthday wishes on your blog.hope you enjoy great new year celebrations and we wish you all a very happy start to 2008 driving along in your camper,can't wait for the photos.lots of love auntie tracey and all xxxxx

  nana nicholls Dec 31, 2007 6:34 AM

4

Hi Michelle and Drew!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Thank you for my lovely bracelet - I love it!
We saw April, Chris and Hannah in town last week - they are very well and asked us to say Hi! They got your card ok. Hannah is GORGEOUS!!!
We have landed back home from our seasonal holiday, so back to the washing and boring stuff tomorrow!
Hope you liked the fireworks. Can't wait to see new pics. If you see any family down under, especially Roma, say Hi.
Love, hugs and kisses,
Joanna xxx

  Joanna Jan 6, 2008 9:55 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.