Existing Member?

The Way The Nori Rolls

Intrepid Travel 'Flavours of Tokyo'

JAPAN | Tuesday, 16 March 2010 | Views [1544] | Comments [2]

Tatsuya the great!

Tatsuya the great!

As if an all expensed paid trip to Japan to work with an experienced travel writer on an award-winning travel guide wasn’t enough, my prize for winning the World Nomads travel writing scholarship also included a “Flavours of Tokyo” tour, courtesy of Intrepid Travel... Yup - I’m pretty much the luckiest girl in the world.

Over the course of this 2-day private tour with my fantastic guide, Tatsuya, I was treated to a Japanese cooking class, a Soba noodle-making class, an early morning sushi feast at the Tsukiji fish market, breakfasts, lunches, dinners, coffees and countless other snacks along the way…. Basically, I ate my way across Tokyo and it was awesome. 

In addition to all the eating, we caught an excellent performance at Kabuki-za (see my previous blog post), visited the Tokyo Anime Centre, browsed in Bonsai shops, had one very bizarre experience at ‘Maid Café’, strolled around Ginza, Akhiabara, Shibuya, Harajuku, Asakusa and Ueno, and shopped at just about every stationary and 100yen store in the greater Tokyo area (that last bit was kind of my fault and resulted in approximately 7kg of excess baggage – almost all of which was origami or Hello Kitty related).  

Amidst all of this, we drew our fortunes at the Sensoji temple in Asakusa, but while Tatsuya got the best luck fortune, mine strangely read: “Bad Luck” and instructed me not to take on any new jobs or travel at the moment (eeek!). Tatsuya told me to leave my bad fortune card at the temple for Buddha to take care of… he also bought me a good-luck charm for my cell phone – y’know, just in case Buddha was a bit busy that day. 

Intrepid kindly put me up for 4 nights at the stunning Shigetsu Ryokan in Asakusa - a charming hotel with both Western and traditional Japanese rooms that is just a stones throw from Sensoji temple and the colourful, shop-filled Nakamise dori that leads towards it.  From my gorgeous tatami room I had a view of the 5-pillar pagoda at Sensoji temple, while upstairs in the communal onsen, these views extended far out across the Asakusa skyline… there are worse ways to end a long day than taking in the cityscape views while soaking your muscles in the onsen, let me tell you.

Muscle soaking and good food aside, Intrepid is a company that takes responsible travel and ecotourism very seriously.  The ‘take only pictures, leave only footprints’ ethos of such is clearly represented in their efforts to respect and uphold local culture and to minimise the environmental impact of their tours.  To this end, Intrepid provide all tour members with an information package containing do’s and don’ts of cultural etiquette in addition to a lot of interesting background information on the sights, areas, activities and cultural elements involved in their tours.  They also give tour members a few eco-friendly gifts upon arrival – on my tour it was an eco-bag (to cut down on the use of plastic) and a pair of re-usable chopsticks (to eliminate some of the 24 billion pairs of waribashi, disposable chopsticks, that are thrown away annually in Japan). These efforts really are eye-opening, refreshing and commendable. 

Stay tuned for more posts about my experiences on this awesome Intrepid tour.

Tags: intrepid travel

Comments

1

Hey Amy,

Looks like you have had an amazing time in Japan! We made your blog the feature story on the WorldNomads Adventures homepage so that our community can follow your adventures as the travel writing scholarship winner.

Happy Travels!
World Nomads

  World Nomads Mar 22, 2010 4:06 PM

2

Awesome! Thank you!
I had an amazing trip - better than I could've ever dreamed of!
I hope people out there are enjoying my blog... I'm having fun writing about my experiences in Japan.
Cheers,
Amy

  amy_palfreyman Mar 22, 2010 5:22 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.