Existing Member?

The Way The Nori Rolls

The Cove

JAPAN | Friday, 12 March 2010 | Views [1266]

In the movie biz and on the streets, there’s a multi-award-winning, highly controversial documentary that everyone is talking about… outside of Japan that is.  In Japan the Oscar-winning film, The Cove, is largely unheard of in the public arena.  So when we got wind of a screening of the film in an ex-pat bar in Shibuya, we thought it would be interesting to go and check it out.

The Cove is an eco-documentary, directed by world-renowned photographer, Louie Psihoyos, that follows the efforts of a team of activists, led by ex-dolphin trainer Richard O’Barry, to covertly record and expose the annual slaughter of over 2,000 dolphins in the Japanese fishing town of Taiji.  While dolphin fishing is legal in Japan (the ban on commercial whaling doesn’t protect dolphins and other small marine mammals), as the documentary so graphically shows, the methods used to trap and kill the dolphins are horribly brutal and unnecessarily cruel.

In the opening moments of the film Psihoyos states “You try to do the story legally”, but as we quickly discover, laws sometimes had to be circumvented in order to uncover the Taiji dolphin trade in its entirety.  The activists are under heavy surveillance by the Japanese and are met with strong resistance from locals in the fishing community and menacing men in suits (we’re never really sure of who they actually are).  Despite employing a range of nifty physical disguises, O’Barry and his team are threatened on a number of occasions and are required to orchestrate highly coordinated decoy plans in order to move about the town un-detected. Their filming efforts are equally as devious as they go to great lengths to capture video and audio evidence of the killings– including underwater microphones, night vision recording and remote-controlled cameras hidden in birds nests and fake rocks – herein lies much of the controversy surrounding the documentary.

In addition to themes of conservation and animal cruelty, The Cove touches on the role played by marine parks in this story, claiming that Japanese fishermen can earn over $150,000 for each dolphin taken into captivity.  The team capture on film, dolphin trainers selecting individual dolphins from the captured pods in the cove, assumedly to be taken away to major marine parks and trained to perform. O’Barry considers this lucrative business to be the major driving force behind the capture of dolphins in Taiji.  

Those dolphins not destined for Sea World, end up in the meat section of the supermarket - raising a worrying health issue for humans as scientists have found dolphin and whale meat to contain toxin levels far in excess of that deemed fit for human consumption under Japanese and international law, yet the meat is still widely available for purchase around the country. The high toxicity of the meat is said to be an accumulated result of the dolphins’ upper rank in a heavily polluted food chain.

Despite a wealth of international acclaim, The Cove has received but one official screening in Japan (at the 2009 Tokyo International Film Festival), due to strong opposition primarily emanating from the fishing village of Taiji.  However, its escalating success in the international film arena is creating a mounting pressure for the documentary’s release to the Japanese public.  Given the film’s claims that the majority of Japanese are unaware of dolphin fishing or the issues associated with it, one can only wonder what the response will be. 

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.