Existing Member?

The Way The Nori Rolls

Togakushi - lessons in the great white

JAPAN | Sunday, 21 February 2010 | Views [806] | Comments [1]

When I found out that I was going to Togakushi, an alpine town 20kms from Nagano, I was excited at the prospect of seeing some of Japan’s snow country (I’m Australian. My experience with snow is limited – the novelty factor remains high).  I had pictured myself nicely rugged up in warm-yet-stylish snow-appropriate attire, frolicking in the snow, maybe even making a snowman and throwing the odd snowball or two before retiring to sit by a fireplace and sip on hot cocoa (yes, I realise this is the ski-chalet cliché, but like I said, I’m not very well versed on snow life).  Well, as it turns out, the only real parallel between my imaginary snow-land and the real-life version is that there was snow… except in my imaginary version, there wasn’t nearly as much.  In my head, Togakushi was a cute little mountain village nicely nestled under a generous sprinkling of snow, but as my bus wound its way up the steep mountain road towards the town, what began as a ‘sprinkling of snow’ turned into a ‘blanket of snow’ which soon became ‘two blankets of snow’, then a ‘duvet of snow’, until finally, I alighted the bus and found myself standing in snow with a sprinkling of town, rather than the other way around.

The thatched-roof buildings that line the streets of Togakushi resembled tenuous marshmallows under the weight of all that whiteness.  I’d never seen anything quite like it… or, evidently, attempted to walk on anything like it.  Never again will Converse be my footwear of choice when attempting to traverse snowy, icy terrain – I had boots in my suitcase, of course, but sadly they were not on my feet at the time I needed them most. 

Aside from the footwear revelations, I discovered that the benefit of my map was greatly reduced by the fact that everything around me looked exactly the same – white - (thankfully Togakushi is not a big town and only a few roads were walkable due to snow ploughing slackness).  Finally I learned that in winter, people should not go to Togakushi on a Wednesday (unless they’re going to the ski resorts), because everything is closed on Wednesday and they will be forced to walk up and down a steep, slippery mountain road in search of lunch.

Despite these snow-induced hurdles, I had a great stay in Togakushi – my hostel (the lovely Togakushi Kogen Yokokura Youth Hostel) provided me with a nice, warm tatami-style room, a little onsen and delicious dinner and breakfast.  An old lady gave me a box of chocolates when I asked her for directions and I got a glimpse into the more traditional side life in the Japanese mountains.  Oh, and a did make a snowman and throw a few snowballs… until my hands got too cold and I realised I’d left my gloves in the hostel and had to buy a can of hot coffee from a vending machine to warm my hands up enough to get the feeling back in my fingers.  I still love snow.

Photos

Comments

1

Love the image of snow with a sprinkling of town! Another great post :)

  Sophie Feb 22, 2010 11:12 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.