Existing Member?

A journal from a Belarusian girl who likes camping, hitch-hiking and crazy people

How I met the road. Part III

UKRAINE | Wednesday, 7 May 2014 | Views [218]

Good morning from the track!

Next days of our journey were almost similar to those I've already written about. Roads and drivers, sun and dust, laugh and fatigue..

The biggest town we visited before reaching the seashore was Bahchisaray: the city was commissioned by the Crimean Khan dynasty, who moved their capital here in the first half of the 16th century.

Khan Palace is considered to be the main sight here

 

But personally I'm sure that the most interesting thing a man can find here is Chufut-Kale: fortified settlement built in the 11th century:

Our dream team on the top of Chufut-Kale:

There are a lot of legends about this place, one of them says that Karaites were brought there from Persia at the time of the first Exile. The early settlers of the city exercised great influence upon their neighbors, the Chazars. The ḥakam Abraham Firkowitsch, who was very skilful in falsifying epitaphs and manuscripts, pretended to have unearthed at the cemetery of Chufut-Kale tombstones dating from the year 6 of the common era, and to have discovered the tomb of Sangari, which is still shown by the Karaites. According to Harkavy, however, no epitaph earlier than 1203 can be seen at the cemetery of Chufut-Kale, called "Vale of Jehoshaphat"; and the tombs do not belong to Karaites, but to the old Rabbinite settlers called "Krimchaki." Chufut-Kale, however, existed as early as the seventh century. Abu al-Fida mentions it under the name "Kirk-er.".

After Bahchisaray we went to the seashore and from this moment the only things we've thought about were sun and waves, so it is not really interesting to describe it here. Actually I've already told a lot about that time so next my story will be about another my journey =)

Thank for your attention and goodbye =*

About amnicat

15 hours of road. That's how drivers saw me. May, 2014

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ukraine

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.