Existing Member?

Mediterranean Tie (MT) Tributaries in blue.

Fishermen village

EGYPT | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [293] | Scholarship Entry

A small colored houses strewn on the banks of stream canal trench extending from Lake Marriott to the Mediterranean, parked in front of wooden boats at the scene. This magical area is known as «Al-Max» in western side of the Mediterranean, Alexandria. That place is called «Fishermen village»

Nature of the work and the place give a special character to fishermen, they live "for the day" and spend the generosity of the sea without saving something for the not-so-generous days, and adapt with the strongly unstable income, where sometime they earn a hundred pounds at one day and the next day earn nothing.

Talk among people in Al-Max is usually about the "barrier period", a period in which the government prohibits fishing, specifically from mid-May to early July. Under an agreement between the countries of the Mediterranean basin. 45-day fully represent the primary season for fishing, which is the only source of income for more than 3,000 families.
Most of the fishermen confirm that the government did not examine the impact of this decision on them, to breed fish in this region and migrate without get it. As they say, “we are watching fishes when it comes and leaves”.

Residents of the «fishermen village» living life without thinking of the satisfaction of leaving the place or abandoning, and therefore refuse to even talk about the idea had been raised years ago to remove the village in order to develop the port of Alexandria and link the region to Al-Dakhila

3,000 families around 15,000 people are the residents of the village, upset of the decisions taken by the government. Many trends in Alexandria works to support the decision to transfer the village and its inhabitants resettled in other places – places that are not related to the profession of fishing
And that has prevailed among them the spirit of indifference toward the importance of the development of their village, which produces about 35% of fish production for the Governorate of Alexandria.
The residents refuse the resettlement plan saying “take our souls instead of our homes”.

May be the homes lack of many of the elements of modern life, but it becomes part of them and they are part of it. They do not want palaces or luxury accommodation; just want to live in peace in their village.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About aminied

Siwa, Egypt.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.