Existing Member?

RN volunteer trip to Uganda

You raise me up

UGANDA | Monday, 17 October 2016 | Views [337]

The spirit of God is in the hearts of all the children and workers here at Canaan. As we washed clothing yesterday we practiced singing the song “you raise me up” there was so much commotion with the younger children running by and seeking quick hugs, the noise and laughter from their play that I did not have a chance to really let the words of the song sink in. Today I got a second chance to hear and feel these words in my heart. During church I was raised up, watching how little boys would care for infants, to give mothers a break. One of our orphans, Joseph, who is 8, took a baby from its’ mother and provided the babe with its’ bottle. The only connection between Joseph and that trusting mother was that they were in the same village together, so the mentality is, you help everyone. The baby was soon passed to me, as Joseph had to go to Sunday school. Again the mother did not appear concerned in the least; she didn’t even give me a glance to make sure I was someone safe. There is such a beautiful trust here at this church and in this village. Everyone reaches out to raise each other up and help where they can. As I lay the sleeping infant on a different mother’s matt, that woman quickly soothed the infant back to sleep when it fused a little. We are all aunties and mothers and Jaja’s (grandmothers) to all of the children in this village.

 

The church was then raised up when Pastor Isaac announced that Morgan, Leah and I would be reaching out to the most desperate in the community. He requested cell leaders to remain for a meeting so they could create a list of the people here who are too sick or weak to leave their homes and come to our clinic for care. These will be the people the three of us will go to bringing food, supplies and provide whatever help we can. We were looked at as hero’s, but I still feel as if I am doing so little when I can be doing so much more to raise this community up.

 

The words of the song finally gave me goose bumps when Mary, Gideon and I sat in a quiet place and practiced the song. At this moment I realized I was being raised up to feel the love of God through these beautiful, grateful and hopeful people. They raise me up every day and they don’t even know they are affecting me so. I am raised up when the workers at Canaan tell me I am like an African woman. It makes me feel accepted by them. I am raised up when the children will not give me a moment’s peace and quiet because they just have to take as much attention from me as they can get. I am raised up when I walk through the village and can wave at the people I am starting to recognize and know by name. I am raised up when they laugh with glee because I am speaking Luganda. I am raised up because for some reason they think I am making a difference, when in actuality it is them who are making a change in me. I pray I can find a way to actually make a change here someday.

 

These children have not only raised me up. Their reach has touched America now as well. They have spoken with Morgan’s friends and families via skype and today they spoke with my friends. Even being thousands of miles away these children still made our loved ones at home feel a connection, feel that joy and love that I have been writing about. I pray that we may be more like the people here in Uganda and raise each other up; make each other feel loved on a daily basis!

 

Trust in God’s guidance for the path your life should take

 

Gypsy RN

About ameuganda


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Uganda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.