Existing Member?

:Tropical Exploration: Leaving for the Dominican Republic in a few days! Will arrive at an all inclusive resort to stay and hang out with my mom and her boyfriend at his vacation house. Stay for a few weeks then off to travel alone getting into many eco adventures then settling in at a few volunteer places to immerse myself in the culture and help the local people. I hope to learn ALOT of spanish while there and break away from my materialistic roots. Not to mention enjoy the amazing sunshine, spend a ton of time in the water scuba diving/snorkling/swimming, get to know the culture and meet people, learn about the carribean way of life, and help the surverly improvished society, teaching and mentoring.

Times they are a changing...

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC | Sunday, 29 April 2007 | Views [422]

My partner in crime finally leaves day after tomorrow. The whole concept of having a traveling partner, especially one that speaks the language of the country you are in, was better in theory. Not to say I was not grateful for someone to ease into the Dominican culture with...however, that time has passed and it's hard trying to share a life with someone you didn't make a conscious effort to 'share a life with'. So very much looking forward to doing what i want and ONLY what i want from now on. I've spent way too much time trying to be comparable and agreeable and now I'm SO ready to be on my own page again...

Trying to find a cheap way to do kite boarding, it simply looks like the funnest time that one person can have on the water. Think huge parachute like kite attached to an acrobat apperatis of some sort and your feet clipped into a board. Then its just you, the open water the wind and lots of speed. I've seen some crazy tricks, not to mention people flying many ft in the air, soaring, then gracfully landing.  Me encanta...I love...

Surfing as much as i can...it's been raining a lot so its' hard...then there's the wave quality that is always something to be desired here (supposedly anywhere is better to surf then the DR) but it's not so bad for me, absolute beginner...Went today for blue bird skies and turquiose water...my favorite colore combo, delightful, minus the swell and strong wind gusts...and small waves...

Doing a census with the project next week, visiting local neighborhoods and getting statistic...it sound like a cool way to see the real DR to me.

Looking into finding fellow couch surfers to hang out with maybe stay with for free for a few nights. (a community online where people put there couches/xtra rooms for people traveling to stay in for free...)

Money is definitely becoming an issue and I'm actually looking into price differences on coming home early...although if i start kite surfing and surfing and windsurfing everyday, there's no way i'm going to want to come home early. But we shall see what the money situation turns out to be with my partner in crime missing in action...might be cheaper or REALLY expensive. If i stay in Cabarete i can diffinitely work out a cheap accomadation but i still need to visit to penisula and the capital b/f i leave. I want to do a language coarse but there not cheap.

Ok, feel free to wire me money! hee hee

maybe i'll find a job while i'm here...

Bachata y Merege esta noche, should be fun. I desperately need to practice spanish more, and after Amie leaves, i'll have no choice.

much love and fond wishes for all those close in my heart

Love,

Amy

Tags: Budgets & money

About amelie918


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Dominican Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.