Existing Member?

A chance to make my life different

First-time foreigner

THAILAND | Saturday, 12 April 2014 | Views [177] | Scholarship Entry

The first time I travel overseas was to Chiang Mai, Thailand last year. Two of my colleagues and I went there to volunteer for an international conference. Although we just spent six days there, it was surely enough to leave great impact on me. When we were in Chiang Mai, we got to stay in the same hotel where the conference took place, and there was a giant mall right next to it (I literally went there every single day!). The volunteering consumed most of our time so we did not have many chances going around to see the beautiful and peaceful Chiang Mai, so from my limited experience with the Chiang Mai, I can only say it was a beautifully peaceful and clean.
Let’s move to the thing that really sticks out the most for me from this trip, Thai people. I believe that different people coming to Thailand will have different first hand experience with the country and its people because there is no “the Thai people”. In my case, I was glad I had a great time and wonderful experience with them. When I first interacted with a Thai (it was a girl at a restaurant inside the mall), I was amazed of the first language barrier’s experience ever. I spoke to her in English but she did not understand me. I think what is funny was we were so similar in our appearances (black hair, Asian look), so my brain tricked me into thinking we’re supposed to understand each other, and I got shocked when we didn’t. This must be one of the things that people say travel overseas broadens our perspective. I really enjoyed sitting in a coffee shop observing things around as a foreigner, it was personally exhilarating to me.
Last but not least, I loved my Thai friends who also volunteered at the conference with me. They were all so sweet and friendly. I really hope that I can see them sometimes soon.
The trip to Thailand was fascinating in many ways to me. I had a great time doing my favorite activity, “observing”!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About amberdoan


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.