Existing Member?

My trip :)

Missing you all!

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 2 September 2009 | Views [799] | Comments [6]

(Picture - Two boys in mine and Meena's class at the school, Picas and Denis)

Hi everyone,
So on Saturday a few of us got up early to catch the public bus to Kathmandu - one of the volunteers host sister Sabina came with us to help us haggle and make sure we didn't get lost - a very important job! The bus journey was certainly a very interesting one! We were all dreading it because we'd heard lots of stories about it being very busy and there being lots of pick pocketers; but luckily we didn't have that experience. The buses are much much much more different to English buses - there are no official bus stops, just a start point and an end. There is a boy who hangs out the door yelling in Nepali that the bus is going to Kathmandu and you can get on if you want. The roads are pretty bad - we were jumping all over the place! On the bright side, it only cost 12 ruppees for a 30-45 min journey! (123 = 1 pound). Anyway, we arrived in Kathmandu and WOW it was soooo hot! I don't think I've ever experienced heat like that before - but that wasn't going to stop us shopping! We shopped for a few hours, stopped for lunch at "Crazy Burger" who must be making serious money from some of the volunteers thanks to us all missing english food!
We then continued shopping and decided it was probably time to catch a bus back. However before that some of us (very stupidly) decided to risk having an icecream before we left...which I later regretted when I was ill overnight and for the whole of Sunday :(
On our journey back from Kathmandu to Sirutar we go through slums - people have built "homes" on the side of a VERY polluted dirty river where people put their rubbish. We've seen the slums before but we've never stopped in the middle of them - we were all silent the rest of the journey back. I think in a few weeks we'll be visiting them too which I'm sure will be a very emotional trip for all of us.
When we arrived back in Sirutar I put my bag down and Gyanu (my older sister) quickly told me I'd be walking to Lubhoo with her so off we went to pick up some clothes that had been made. We came back and then me and Meena played Ramu and Ben 10 at Badminton - I'm proud to say that England beat Nepal! Haha.
The following day I was ill so didn't go to work, was feeling a bit better after tiffin though so went to our weekly venture meeting. Every week we have a different chairperson so this week I decided to volunteer to be the chairperson so we had the meeting, I sent the minutes off to Platform2 and then it was time for Meena, Harriet, Jamie, Hina, Jahira and I to go to the local school for the first time to teach/interact! It was so scary. As we were walking to the school most of the children were outside practicing this march type thing for a competition, the children and the other volunteers laughed and took many photos when I decided to join in :) I think I was pretty good at it too!
We did eventually get into a classroom with the children. Meena and I were paired together and were so scared! We decided to first all of go round the class and ask them their name and ages...and they were all very polite and stood up and answered. We quickly realised we had two VERY confident 13 year old boys in our class called Dennis and "Because" (his name is pronounced because but I don't know how you spell it) who asked us a lot of silly questions, told us we were beautiful and asked us to sing and dance - oh dear. We taught them about English festivals because they have a major festival coming up and then let them ask us questions. At the end of the lesson they all stood up and sung their national anthem to us.
After the lesson we were all pretty much dead so went to the project office and watched a good old girly film!
When we returned home our older sister gave me and Meena a present each - it was really cute heart keyring that had our name engraved in it - dunno what the occasion was but it was sooo sweet! After dinner I found out I could watch Aston Villa on tv at my homestay and was very excited when I found it on tv...only to be heartbroken when 10 minutes before kick off there was a powercut - I was not a happy Aishwarya haha! But my host brother called his friend who managed to record it for me so I watched that yesterday! :) It's crazy how I'm not that committed to the football at home, but here it's become kinda important because it makes me feel kinda closer to my dad and brothers.
On Monday we had our mid term seminar from 10.30 til 3pm. It was actually quite fun although each groups presentation was meant to be an hour long and everyones ended up being about 15 mins long! Woops! My little group were responsible for talking about construction and we (Holly) drew a rather beautiful poster of us all on the work site! It should def. be put in a gallery.
Yesterday we had a full days work again which was pretty difficult because we haven't had a full days work since Wednesday and it wasn't very interesting at the work site! After work I had a shower - there was the biggest strangest looking bug in my shower EVER - I screamed for Ganu to come save me! Her and my little niece Princess laughed at me for a good ten minutes! After that eventful shower, I went to my Nepalese lesson and received post (thank you to everyone who's sent me a letter - I reeeally appreciate it!) and then I went home. Jahira came over for dinner which was fun and I think my Nepali family (especially my Ba and Dai) love interacting with the other volunteers.
Today we finally finished levelling the ground! I'm absolutely knackered! My right hand is covered in blisters from wheel barrowing so much! We have even started building the inner foundation wall of the school; we've had some problems though because the rain keeps causing land slides which are a pain!
Gonna go now because other people want the computer, but I'll update again soon! Going to the orphanage on Saturday and Maiti Nepal on Monday which will be emotional!!

Lots of love,
Alyx
xxxx

 

Comments

1

Alyx that was a superb blog, very very interesting, keep up all the good work, love and miss you Dad x

  Robin Pleaden Sep 2, 2009 11:05 PM

2

Very interesting blog.After moving all that dirt you must all feel very proud of yourselves,especially now that walls being built.Love reading your blogs. love nan

  nana moon Sep 3, 2009 12:31 AM

3

Hi Alyx Have just read all your blog in one go. It sounds a fascinating place to be and the building work you are all doing sounds as though it is going to be invaluable to the village in the future. You will come back with memories that will stay with you forever.

  Francesca Pearson Sep 3, 2009 12:33 AM

4

Enjoyed reading your blog sounds like you are having a great time. Well no more ice cream for you then but i am glad that you feel better and my advice helped. Can't wait to speak to you soon.
love Kim and Jordan

  kim Sep 3, 2009 2:34 AM

5

Hey
You better have got me a present =P
Loved the phone call the other day - "hi lyx" "alyx, my nams jo!"
aha can;t believe all the little kids know your name!
Missing you lots pally,
Cant wait to see you!
xxxx

  Jo Clare Sep 3, 2009 9:20 PM

6

Pally - this is the first chance Ive had to read your blog! It sounds absolutely amazing!
And you've been calling Joseph? Where's my phone call eh?
Loved your postccard!
Missing you tonnes!
xxxxxxxxx

  Lydia Cambier Sep 4, 2009 6:00 PM

About alyx


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.