Existing Member?

My trip :)

Start of week three!

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 28 August 2009 | Views [685] | Comments [9]

(Picture - us in the hut where we have tiffin every day playing black jack...again!)

Namaste everyone!

So not much has happened since I last updated this. As I said on Sunday there was a festival for some families in the village where women wear red sari's and fast for 36 hours to 'preserve' the life of the men in their families so some of the girl volunteers had got red sari's and looked dherai ramro (very beautiful). My family don't celebrate the festival though, however Ramu didi and Meena dressed me up in a sari a few nights ago which was fun :) In a few weeks there's the Dashain festival for 6 days so me, Meena and our sisters are going to go and get a sari. So yep, my family don't celebrate that festival so I went to Harriet's house for a little while (as her family are also Nivari and don't celebrate either) and then we went to the project office and watched some films.

On Monday we were all strangely looking forward to going to work because the rain kept us all off work for a few days last week but yet again it was raining! Its so hot for our days off but when it's work it gets rainy! So we had a meeting with Bharat and from now on if we have a day off because of the rain we're hoping to go into local schools and paint the classrooms which should be good!

On Tuesday we started work again finally, two of the volunteers were ill though which sucked, one of them keeps getting ill and then better again and then ill again, and might have to go home if they don't get better soon :( Hopefully that won't happen though! I don't think me telling him the Aston Villa vs Liverpool score helped considering he's a Liverpool fan! :)

That afternoon I was starting to feel ill so had to go home early. I had a nap for most of that afternoon, got up for dinner -BUFFALO!, and then went back to bed. When I woke up on Wednesday morning I still felt pretty awful but didn't want to not work so went away...got to the site and was quickly sent home though :( The project supervisor was worried because so many people are getting ill and having to go to hospital!

Ooh about the project, we've nearly finished levelling the ground! Yay! Today it was just the girls digging, barrowing, etc, and the boys were moving stones. So nearly ready to build the wall! :) I am very excited because the work is starting to get a bit repetitive!

On Tuesday on the way home from Nepalese lesson, me and Meena saw this big group of Nepalese women having an argument! Apparently they were fighting over some land and PUNCHES were seen! So the police had to be called. It was crazy!!

Today we have a half day and after tiffin some of us went to look at a local school that we're going to teach in and "do up" which should be good!

So yes, that's the past few days for you! Tomorrow I'm going to Kathmandu with Harriet which should be good :) On Monday we have our mid term seminar, next Monday we're going to a trafficking centre (Maiti Nepal) where rescued women and children are, and the weekend after to a hotel to watch the sunset/sunrise :)

Missing home lots! But only 6 weeks and 6 days left!

Lots of love,

Al xxxxxx

PS Funny story for you all...the other day I was walking home from work and was so tired that I forgot that Dhanyabaad means thanks and Namaste means hello, and I walked the whole way home saying "Dhanyabaad" to everyone and kept getting such funny looks...it was terrible!

Comments

1

Alyx well done, another great blog xx
miss you Dad , Aston AND tAYLS

  Robin Pleaden Aug 28, 2009 8:04 PM

2

that's sounds fun, did you sitll get to see the festival even if your family doesn't celebrate it? lol. i would of loved to be one of the nepalese people giving you funny looks, you crazy person :D i hope you have a good time shopping later on, talk you soon. love Ash :) xxxxx

  Ashzeeee Aug 28, 2009 8:33 PM

3

hi Alyx, sorry i have not wriiten on here for ages but i have spoken to you on facebook and had texts from you in the middle of the night haha.Well it sounds like you are having an amazing time. Char said that i should sent you some chocolate, you should ask nan she might sent you 2 sweet shops this time. Well you take care and see you soon
love
kim and jordan
p.s. what other words have you learned

  kim Aug 28, 2009 9:57 PM

4

You are getting very good at this blog business. Really
enjoyed this one, especially the bit about the punch-up.
Cant wait to read the next one.
Take care, see u soon.
Netty, Lee & Girls xx

  Netty Aug 28, 2009 10:33 PM

5

The picture you sent of yourself in the sari was really nice.Hope you enjoy getting in out of the rain and painting the school.Will you be helping to build the walls. Speak to you soon love nan.xxxxx

  nan Aug 29, 2009 5:05 AM

6

Missing you so much but loving reading your blog entries!!
xxxxx

  Jo T Aug 29, 2009 9:25 PM

7

how are you doing alyx ? Hope your keeping well and enjoying yourself love nan xxx

  nan Aug 29, 2009 11:38 PM

8

Hey Alex
Sounds like you are having an amzing time. I am so jealous! Enjoy every day as your time will pass all too quickly. Great to hear all of your news.
Lot of love, stay safe
Miss Styles
xxxxxxxxxx

  Miss Styles Aug 30, 2009 3:37 AM

9

:D Sounds like your having a great time... (jealous)x

  Jenny Aug 31, 2009 9:54 PM

About alyx


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.