Existing Member?

Finding yourself in a place where you can so easily become lost

Two words perfectly fitting into one

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 13 May 2014 | Views [193] | Scholarship Entry

She remembered it all somewhat perfectly. Stepping out onto the welcoming grounds of Ho Chi Minh city's airport but more seemingly, a land where the heat attracts itself to your skin almost instantaneously, where the motorcycles and bicycles zoom past ever so swiftly, where the smell of freshly cooked Pho linger as you pass and where a city once of ruin now seems as promising as ever even for an outsider. As she stepped onto the bus to be taken to her grand aunt's house in a hidden street of Saigon, she found herself peering so intensely outside of the window the entire journey there. It was night time however the city seemed more alive than she had remembered. Weeks were spent in the heart of the city; a Melbournian family immersing themselves as locals as they wandered the streets, the sun aiming to slow them down. Before she knew it they were onto their next adventure as they were on a bus from Saigon to Mui Ne in Vietnam's southeast. With her beloved ca phe da (Vietnamese iced coffee) within her hands, she glanced out the window every now and then for the several hours her and her family traveled in that mini-bus they passed breathtaking mountains where the tombstones of those painfully lost were within sight as they were perched up high. Upon passing bridges overlooking colorful, aged boats, seemingly endless home businesses and street stalls bringing you smells of banana wrapped in leaves they finally reached Sealinks resort. In their bus, they traveled through the front gates as they passed through an endless stream of white houses and vividly green grass and trees home to blossoming pink flowers. The captivating two-story house was now their home. On her mind was one thing; the crystal clear swimming pools separated from yet lending perfect view to the open sea. How wonderful it is that this new world was so different to the one she was in just several hours ago? She remembers that one, life-changing moment so well; waking up in the early morning, perhaps 3AM to find out her ATAR results from Australia. The moment came, leaving her in a state of utter disbelief as she abruptly opened her family member's doors and announced the news. The morning after they rushed down to the pool, accompanied by the burning sun. Settling herself on a pool-side chair, she thought to herself that this was it, her life was already beginning to change even though she was so far from home. She never belief travel could change your life until she was proven wrong.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About alyssaho


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.