Existing Member?

¿Dónde está Alyssa? Looking for the next destination.....the hunger will never be quelled.

Semana Santa Hell

COSTA RICA | Thursday, 5 April 2007 | Views [2092] | Comments [2]

I´m sure that the title of this blog may be offensive to some but I´m sorry, I´m not a fan of the Holy Week. It has mostly made my life difficult and, well more expensive. Prices went up double in Antigua and we had to walk outside of town this morning to catch a shuttle since the public buses are not running until Monday.

Trish and I arrived at the airport with plenty of time to spare before our flight to Costa Rica. Three hours to be exact. It gave us plenty of time to sit around and have our new Chilean friend, Juan highlight my South America guidebook all over the place so we would know where to go while in Bolivia and Chile. I love that I have broken english scribbled in my book now. I´m going to treasure the ¨good fishes to eat¨ note on the edges of the pages.

Luckily after an americano con leche and chowing down on our veggie sandwiches (free courtesy of our hostel that packed us take away breakfast since we left at the crack of dawn) we were boarding our short 85 minute flight to San Jose. It was a welcome change to sit on a plane and enjoy a free beverage and leg room versus the run down US school bus we are accustomed to now. And I´ve never taken such pleasure in using the bathrooms at an airport before. They are so clean and spacious!

Back to Hell though....our taxi driver immediately put fear into us by saying that our hostel was probably booked up already so we might be screwed since we didn´t have reservations. I thought my most difficult priority of the day would be getting to the post office to send a box home.  But I realized then that a place to stay for the night is far more important than carrying around extra luggage. Luckily the taxi driver was just talking shit since there was plenty room for us and all our belongings when we got to Tranquilo Backpackers. However I won´t be sending anything home since the post office is closed. It won´t be open again until Monday. Joy. I might just leave my new Guatemalan items at the hostel over the next week so I don´t have to travel around with my lovely Guatemalan painting.

Since the post office is closed just about everything else is as well...the bank, shops, restaurants, etc. So I guess we´ll be sitting around the hostel all night staring at the walls and enjoying the free tea until we leave for the beach tomorrow. Oh, and wish us luck that we are able to go to the coast tomorrow. Since the buses aren´t running we are trying to get on a shuttle ($40 for 4 hours? Ouch!) but it´s looking pretty grim. Maybe I will spend a weekend wandering around the empty streets of downtown San Jose, Costa Rica. Only time will tell.

So Happy Semana Santa to all!! I can´t wait for this holy week to end. 

Tags: costa rica, misadventures

Comments

1

Oh boy, you've hit the 'never travel in a Catholic country during Easter' rule. We had similar problems while in Spain this time last year. It's so frustrating because it's something you never plan into your journey, ya know? We found it entertaining, however, that the local Spanish channels were playing soft porn and religious ceremonies simultaneously on Easter Sunday. Look on the bright side: now you may do some relaxing or other misc stuff you wouldn't have otherwise done!

  Tami Apr 7, 2007 3:45 AM

2

Esta foto es de ANTIGUA GUATEMALA y no de Costa Rica, ¡Por favor, en dónde los ticos tienen una ciudad colonial! Jajajajaaaaa

  German Tizol Yac Feb 25, 2011 4:58 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.