Existing Member?

¿Dónde está Alyssa? Looking for the next destination.....the hunger will never be quelled.

San Ignacio (Cayo)

BELIZE | Friday, 16 March 2007 | Views [924] | Comments [2]

The trip begins. I'm flying over the Yucatan. Belize approaches...

The trip begins. I'm flying over the Yucatan. Belize approaches...

It's been a very, very long day. Between delayed flights and waiting for the bus here is how the journey began:

I've spent 7 hours waiting at airports (LAX and Houston), 5 hours on two different planes and 3 hours on an old beaten up American school bus to travel across the country. Some of you who may have been to Belize may be wondering why I made the trip across to the border so quickly. Here's the deal~ my Dutch friend Trish and I are meeting up here so that we can discuss our next destination. She is flying into Guatemala so we figured this was a half way point for the both of us. I'm hoping to convince her to head to Northern Belize for a long riverboat cruise in the jungle to see the Mayan ruin site Lamanai.

I was really hoping for my first entry to be interesting and witty but I'm so exhausted that I don't have the strength. Instead I will just share a few tidbits:

1.) There's this interesting phrase painted on the walls of most of the bus stops in Belize. It reads, "Ralph works....for all of us!" Who is this Ralph? And does he really work, for everyone?? I'm determined to find out what that's all about.

2.) Did you know that $50 US dollars in Belize can get you
... a taxi ride to the city, lunch and a bus ride across country, two nights worth of accommodation and dinner. Pretty incredible.

3.) I can text! Please don't call me. My phone is on but it's cheapest to send text messages. So send a text! ;-)

I'm sure I have left something out that I wanted to share. Oh! Thanks to Patrick for the Belize tips. I'm staying at the Hi-Et and am quite happy so far. How can you beat $10 a night for your own room and private little balcony? And everyone wondered how I was able to save up for a 3 1/2 month trip like this....it's called traveling DIRT CHEAP.

Okay, the mosquitoes are beginning to swarm and I can't squish them all while I type. Plus there is a parrot screaming "hello" in my ear. Ahh! I just caught the first one biting my arm (a mosquito...not the parrot). Must return to my room now...


Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

I think if you eat a lot of garlic, it might ward off the mosquitos!!! Your first entry was hysterically funny and I can see this 3 1/2 month long blog will definitely be a great source of fun. Now that your finally there, I am sure your travels will be fascinating. I can't wait to find out who the hell Ralph is?
Hugs and Kisses,
Aunt Robin

  Aunt Robin Mar 19, 2007 9:44 AM

2

Good god Alyssa! I just want to be with you so bad! I need my damn passport (already in the works) so I can go on trips with you!!

  laurabell Mar 21, 2007 4:02 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Belize

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.