Existing Member?

Wander Woman "So, I just packed my baggage and said goodbye to family and friends. And took a road to nowhere, on my own" -Lady Gaga, Gypsy

Saying goodbye to the children :(

GUATEMALA | Thursday, 3 April 2014 | Views [342]

I feel like today is worth it's own short blog post. Today was my last day with the children at school because tomorrow there is a parents meeting and the kids will not be there. I bought a pinata and stuffed it with candy, crayons, pencils, pencil sharpeners, toothbrushes, toothpaste and some small coins. I also brought a really delicious looking cake-I knew the kids were going to love it! The teacher also brought some soda and tostadas with frijoles (refried beans spread on top of chips..typical Guatemalan snack). We had a short lesson in the beginning of the day and then went outside to do the pinata. The kids took turns giving it a whack and slowly all the goodies began to fall. After we went inside and had our snacks. I played some music from my phone because I knew the kids loved the song Darte Un Beso by Prince Royce...it's extremely popular here and they all sing it all the time. We took pictures and then the kids surprised me with hand made cards from every one of them (some cards even had some chocoalte inside!). Most of the cards were decorated so elaborately and it was so nice because I knew that their parents had to help them and seeing them put so much effort into making these cards look beautiful was really special to me. I took pictures with each one of the students and they all hugged me and told me they didn't want me to leave. At the end of the day, a little boy named Harol asked the teacher if he could stand in front of the class and say some things to me. So I held him in my arms and he hugged me for so long and said thank you for helping me, I hope you go on well, I don't want you to leave and I hope you come back soon. He told me that he loved me and he hugged me a lot with tears in his eyes. Another girl was visibly very sad and she said she was going to miss me and when we parted she hugged and kissed me for a long time. The part that really made me cry was when I had to part with a boy named Rodney. Rodney is a beautiful 17 year old boy with cerebral palsy. He doesn't talk, walk or move on his own, but I challenge you to find a time when he is not smiling or laughing. So today, when I kissed him on the head and said goodbye and that I was going to miss him, it shocked me to see his face turn to a frown. His lip pouted so far and his mom and I were laughing because we didn't think he could be so sad. Then as she picked him up to carry him in her sling as she always does, he started to sob. He was crying so hard and tears were streaming down his face I could not believe it. Seeing him cry obviously made me cry so we were both sobbing and then my teacher started to cry as well. Even though it was so sad to see this poor kid crying, it was such a special and precious moment to me. He could never express how he felt about me before but in that moment I knew that he felt a bond with me and loved me. My presence obviously made him happy every day and my absence has made him sad. It breaks my heart to have to leave these children because they are all so special and precious in their own ways, but it also makes me feel like I have made a huge difference in their lives. I don't think they will ever forget me and I most certainly will never forget them. Spending 6 weeks in their classroom was quite a long time and definitely enough time to make an impression on small children. I am so glad that I had this opportunity because my life was changed for the better and I think I can say that theirs was as well. 

 

Some of the letters that students wrote to me roughly translated (the parents wrote it on behalf of their kids):

I am very grateful for the time you have spent in my class. Thank you for your time and may God bless you and I send you many blessings to your family and your career. I am very happy to have spent time with you and I take great memories of you. I hope you know that I appreciate you. Goodbye I wish you all of the worlds best.--Hector

 Thank you for your patience and caring. We hope that God blesses you and that you visit and remember us always. I hope you go well. Best wishes. --Alex

That God blesses you and God sends blessings to your home and to your family. We wait for your return soon to visit us and hope that you never forget me. With care and hugs--Rodney

To my pretty teacher, best wishes, I love you. I wish you success on your journey. I want you to know that I admire and respect you. God bless you always--Julian

 

These children are so special, I will keep these notes with me forever and maybe one day I can return to see them in their success. This outpouring of love from Guatemala has got me feeling emotional and I will always remember the difference I have made <3

About alyssa730


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.