Existing Member?

Alys and Jess Tour Europe

What To Bring To Europe

USA | Monday, 6 October 2008 | Views [9666] | Comments [1]

This is not a story. This is a list of what to bring to Europe and some handy tips.

When beginning this trip, Jess and I weren't sure what we would need to bring. I searched all over the internet but never found a good list of what to bring. In Greece, Jess an I compiled a list of what we had in our backpacks that had been helpful to us. I hope this list helps another traveler, and if not it is a good reminder for us for our next trip. Please, if you read this and you think something is left out, leave a comment and add it.

1. Shoes (one technical for hiking and walking, one more stylish flat for cities, and one sandal with arch support for beaches).

2. Refillable small bottles for splitting shampoo, lotion, laundry detergent, etc.

3. Postcards from home to use as thank you notes for hosts and friends.

4. Plastic baggies - sandwich size is most helpful.

5. Plenty of pens and a notebook with paper that can easily be ripped out.

6. Blankie or sarong for beach and grass naps.

7. Five to seven pairs of undies. I recommend boy short type for women.

8. Two neutral color bras.

9. Minimal jewelery and certainly nothing valuable.

10. Watch with alarm.

11. Tote for day use - make sure it is easy to carry with your backpack on and can hold water, book, blankie, and whatever else you'll need for a long day.

12. Pair of socks for travel days (planes, grimey buses and trains).

13. Titanium water bottle - easily my most used item on the trip.

14. Spoon and fork that will last the whole trip.

15. Pocket knife with wine and beer opener, sharp knife for bread and cheese, scissors and whatever else you want.

16. Headlamp. It is well worth looking dorky when you are setting up a tent late or walking around a campsite or reading before bed.

17. Pillow and pillowcase.

18. Sleeping bag and pad.

19. NO Ipod unless you are bringing separate charger. If you plug it into a random computer it will delete your music.

20. Extra copy of passport and credit card numbers.

21. Durable sunglasses.

22. Two medium quality swimsuits.

23. Map of Europe. (We didn't have one but it would have been nice!)

24. Addresses of family and friends back home for postcards.

25. Student ID card.

26. Clothing that all goes together, is easily washable, dries quickly, and you feel comfortable trashing when needed. (I could take an entire page talking about shoes and clothes. If you need more advice, just ask! I am happy to help.)

27. Hat. You will get sick of the sun.

28. Hair-ties and rubber bands.

29. Duct tape. (Flattened - take a piece of cardboard that is about 1.5 inches wide and 3 inches long. Unroll the tape onto the cardboard until it is all off the original roll. This saves room.)

30. Toliet paper. (Flattened - squish the roll until it is totally flat. This saves a little room.)

31. Medicines. Jess is the best person to help create a better list but generally you should bring pain killer, sleep assistant, cold medincine, PMS medicine, tummy ache stuff and anything else you need at home. If all the pills are clearly marked you can combine them all in one bottle.

32. Converter and electricity converter. Buy these in the states.

33. Small towel.

34. Camera with plenty of memory, plugs for uploading, and account with Shutterfly, Flickr, etc.

35. Books. Jess and I brought two each and then traded with each other. After that, we traded with other travelers, at hostels, and at used book stores.

36. Minimal makeup but bring what you'll want because makeup all over Europe is about twice the price as in the states.

37. Keep some food that is high in protein in your pack. Nuts, protein bars, or dried fruit can be a life-saver during long waits or while on buses and trains.

38. Super thin rain coat.

39. Laundry line with little hooks.

40. Chico bags that close up to be teeny-tiny but then expand to full grocery size.

I'm sure we will add to this list but these are all the things we had in our bags that we loved and needed regularly.

Happy travels!

Alys

Tags: helpful tips, item list, what to bring

Comments

1

Yes! Perfect. I can't think of anything else...wait yes, a world appliance converter. We had to buy one of those, and it was a pain.

  alysandjess Oct 10, 2008 12:23 AM

About alysandjess


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.