Existing Member?

Alys and Jess Tour Europe

Barcelona, the Star Quarterback of Europe

SPAIN | Tuesday, 1 July 2008 | Views [906] | Comments [6]

Barcelona is like that really poplular guy in high school that everyone loves and is always taking about. He is beautiful, lively, athletic and for the most part, is pretty nice to everyone. But he knows that he´ll never really have to try too hard because just being him is enough. You tell yourself you don´t care if he doesn´t pay you much notice, but nonetheless you want his affirmation. And if for some reason he just doesn´t like you, or worse, is indifferent towards you it is natural to feel a twinge of resentment because to him you are invisible. And so goes our relationship with the beautiful Barcelona. And perhaps that is the reason that we didn´t get on with Barcelona in the way everyone said we would. I wasn´t impressed with Barcelona´s indifference caused by its saturation in tourists, travelers and all the rest who want a part of the European city dubed "Mr. Popular". I just couldn´t break through its facade. Which is sad, in ways, because there is much underneath, I am sure. 


It is always immensly difficult to leave a beautiful campsite, where days are directed by the light and body rythems fall into place naturally. We left all this for Barcelona and the city was a shock; any big city would have been at this point. City noises, city fashion, city smells and the added bonus that Spaniards apparently have a facicnation for setting off bomb-like noise makers on just about every corner. I was in a constant state of alert. For the first time on this trip Couchsurfing failed us in Barcelona. The hosts there are completely overwhelmed, inindated with requests from those wanting a part in the city. Their responses to our emails were, if there at all, negatives expressed with exhaustion. So we were suprised when we got a yes even if that was all that was in the message.

It may have been our fault or a result of bad communication all around but our host failed to pick up the phone when we arrived in Barcelona, leaving us momentarily stranded. We thought this might happen so we had a second plan which involved busing it out to a campsite nearly an hour outside the city; the camp was sandwiched between a highway and an unappetizing beach. Unappetizing after the perfection that was our campsite in Torre de la Mora. We explored the city by day, returning to our campsite before the last bus at 10pm. Much of the three days were spent in parks as it was, for the first time this trip, too hot during the middle of the day to do much walking.

Barcelona was the city of first for us in many ways. First all nighter spent between parks, the beach, in a bus station, and on the floor of Girona aiport before our early morning flight. First offer of hard drugs in a public place (we declined), first conversation with a pair of friends from Gambia, the first place to find a burrito in Europe, and the first real taste of lonliness while traveling. But the floor was surprising comfortable at the airport, well mas o menos.

-Jess

Alys´ take:

(We always read each other´s posts for accuracy and spell check, and lately I´ve wanted to add something!)

Something I think Jess and I both struggled with in Barcelona is feeling uncool for not adoring the city. I clearly remember walking through the narrow streets peeking in little shops and cafe, which are really very unique and fun to explore, and feeling totally embarrassed that I wasn´t enjoying it. How could I not enjoy this? Everybody said we would love Barcelona! People we admire and respect want to live there and visit every chance they get. So, I kept my distaste to myself. Finally, after a couple days of self-discovery (comes naturally when you travel because there is nothing pressing to think about) I realized that I am mature enough to admit that I don´t like Barcelona because it doesn´t like me. If it had paid more attention to me and gotten to know me, I´m sure I would love it. But, it ignored me and my feelings were, quite simply, hurt. I told Jess how I felt (in an outburst of frustration, I´m sure) and was surprised to find out she felt the EXACT SAME WAY! We spent our final day letting ourselves feel mad at the city. Now, looking back, there were things that were really cool about Barcelona. I loved the Picasso museum (another first - we never pay for that stuff usually), had a great time at an improtu African drum circle, and saw the coolest moon-rise on the beach. And, I had an excellent travel partner who kept my lonliness at a minimum and participated in the wallowing of emotions with me. Next time, I´ll go to Madrid instead.

-Alys

Tags: ¨mr. popular¨, barcelona, firsts, lonliness, picasso

Comments

1

Praise God for keepng you safe and for helping you see the emptiness in some places. It appears that His creation is what warms your hearts and fills you up! Just as it should be!! We pray that you will see and feel His guiding hand on this adventure and relish all that you have learned about yourselves and Him. Love and prayers, Sue and Jim

  Sue Jul 2, 2008 7:15 AM

2

I agree with Sue. I'm glad you got to experience both city life and nature. It doesn't matter how old you get, being accepted or not, always brings out our feelings of self worth. We love you!!

  Mommy Jul 2, 2008 12:23 PM

3

Here's Tom , talking from the heart: use your soul; every day is a spiritual experience with the effervescence of the all powerful jade stone. That's enough from him for now. Here's me, speaking from my spiritual core: follow the sun, it will lead your path each day. As it rises in the morning your spirit will awake and while it passes over your heads your soul will travel too. In such a way each day is a journey of your spirituality. You are always moving toward the goal unknown, don't fight the journey, open your wings and let the soft breeze carry you to a better place. Go Tom: Travel is like a balloon let go from its blowers hand. It could go here. It could go there. Nice one Tom. Final thought from me now: We each learn a lesson from our every day experiences. Sometimes these lessons are crap and worth forgetting and sometimes they are good and forgetting them is unfortunate. Most lessons come to you unbeckonned but there are some you can actively seek. My source of preference is the word of God, which you can find in the bibol. Tom: YOu could sit in a chair, or you could sit on a sofa.

  John and Tom Jul 3, 2008 7:52 AM

4

From the perspective of Charles Darwin, one of the greatest thinkers of all time (and did you realise that the 1st July was the 150th anniversary of his announcement of the theory of evolution by natural selection?), animals with long necks can reach the higher branches. Animals with little legs tend to have little arms. And in a similar line of thinking, Spanish people mostly speak Spanish, whereas English people very often speak English, which is a funny coincidence indeed. This should help you to reflect on your experiences in Barcelona.

  Mot and Nhoj Jul 3, 2008 8:01 AM

5

The star quarterback in high school is now fat, divorced and works at RadioShack. What does that forecast for Barcelona? You tell me.

  Dawn Jul 8, 2008 10:47 AM

6

Maybe you didn't like Barcelona because of one of the biggest town that you don't feel like being in Spain. Is a multicultural,racial and cosmopolite town that has some beautiful districts and buildings.But it is full of tourists and the structure of the town is like an American city, with long street and straight...I mean like a grid.And is the only spanish city built in this way.
Did you realize?

  Jorge Muñoz Jul 13, 2008 3:00 AM

About alysandjess


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.