Existing Member?

Peregrinations Mexico and Central America on Motorcycle: Open road, open heart, open mind.

El Fin del Mundo

ARGENTINA | Monday, 4 February 2008 | Views [2266] | Comments [9]

The city of Ushuaia, overlooking the Beagle Channel

The city of Ushuaia, overlooking the Beagle Channel

I have fallen completely and utterly, head-over-heels, no if's, and's, or but's about it, IN LOVE with Ushuaia. I can seriously envision myself living here. If I lived here, this is how my average day would go:

I´d wake up around 9 am, like most Argentines, and have breakfast. Now, Argentine breakfast usually only consists of bread and dulce de leche, or bread and jam, and maybe some tea (usually mate). To get this breakfast, I would bundle up in long pants and a sweater (maybe a hat and scarf in winter), and step outside of my cute little brightly-colored bungalow to find the nearest panaderia.

As soon as I stepped outside, I would start smiling, because all around me, in every direction, there would be stunning mindboggling beauty. Rugged awe-inspiring peaks for 180 degrees behind town, and white-capped ocean backed by more rugged mountain ranges for 180 degrees in front of town.

The panaderia might be just a few steps away on the corner, or maybe it would be two blocks downhill. No matter what, it will be close by. Ushuaia is like San Francisco on a smaller scale, with steep hills everywhere. And in Ushuaia there are no stopsigns at any of the 4-way intersections. I'm still a little foggy on how it works, and why I don't see car crashes every day.

At the panaderia I would buy fresh-baked bread, and maybe some medialunas dulces, and I would eat them while staring out over the bay and sipping mate.

As for the rest of the day? Well, my fantasy doesn't include work, so I'll just skip that. Maybe I would go hiking, seeing as the Andes are in my back yard. Or maybe I would take a boat and go visit the penguin colonies, or take a tour around Parque Nacional Tierra Del Fuego. One day, of course, I would hop a boat to Antarctica, a mere 1000 km to the south over the frigid southern seas.

In the evenings I would hang out with my Argentine friends, who are so fun and charming and friendly they could melt icebergs with the mere glow of their personalities. We would eat dinner at the Argentine dinner hour (around 10 pm, when the sun is beginning to set), and then drink Beagle Stout and mate until the early hours of the morning. Of course, all conversation would be in Spanish (which I speak quite fluently after three cervezas!)

And, to add to the fantasy, I would adopt one of the many local street dogs and give it a good home. I have one in particular in mind: I saw a Husky-German Shepherd mix the other day that was simply perfect. Of course, I could also get a dalmation-terrier mix, or a dingo-poodle mix, or maybe a cocker spaniel-doberman mix. I swear, I've seen them!

Ah, Ushuaia. How can you not love a place that makes you smile every single time you look out the window? Of course, I might not feel so warmly about it in the winter, when the days shorten from 18 hours to just 7. But there's fantastic skiing here in the winter, and dogsledding too. The persistent wind and low temperatures year-round might get me down. But I would be living at the End of the World, and there's something to be said for that!

Maybe someday in the future my address will read, "Sarah Sparrow-Hawk Sch..., Avenida Roca 123, Ushuaia, Tierra Del Fuego, Argentina...El Fin del Mundo".

Anything is possible...

Tags: culture

Comments

1

did you check my other messages in "THERS A FIRST TIME FOR ANYTHING"? I got your postcard....IT WAS AWESOME! im gonna show it to Mr.Miller cause were studing Evita! When is Kyle leaving you? Have you made any friends? I WANNA KNOW!

  ashynn Feb 5, 2008 11:52 AM

2

Glad you liked the postcard. There's another coming. Kyle is leaving me in June, probably. Not for a long time. I have made lots of friends, almost none of whom speak English! The best way to learn a new language, I think. I travel north with my new friends in a few days.

  alpiner84 Feb 7, 2008 5:31 AM

3

KOOL BEANS! Quin says hi....YAY!!! and so does sarah in maryland!i cant wait for the post card! im gonna show it to mr.miller when i get it cause we studing evita! miss ya!

  ashlynn Feb 10, 2008 2:09 PM

4

A poodle dingo mix huh? Man how drunk was the poodle to let that happen hey? Just kidding, sounds like your trip is going awesome! So jelous. Those pictures of the Andes are amazing, definately got bumped up on the list of mountains to ski. It has got to be so cool being on some of those peaks looking down to the water! Hope everything else is well, from the sounds of things they are!

Chris

  Chris Feb 12, 2008 12:22 PM

5

Hawkins!! Good to hear from you, friend. You should definitely get down here in the winter (our summer) and ski this place. Should be fantastic. Then you could ski year round! Still in Ushuaia at the moment, rather against plans, but whatever--can't complain about being stuck in paradise! Chau!

  alpiner84 Feb 13, 2008 4:22 AM

6

hey! i got the post card and i luv it!!!!!! i really miss you! wat were you takin about with "chris"? it was really weird..... <3 u!

  ashlynn Feb 24, 2008 7:18 AM

7

Hi!
So I don't know when/where you are planning your next big trip but I'm so there! I can't handle working anymore (it has only been a month)...I'm ready to see the world :) Anyways, good to hear you are having fun and ready to become an Argentine. (I'm vicariously living through you by the way.) I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!!
Sira

  Sira Feb 24, 2008 2:35 PM

8

Hey Sira! Great to hear from you. Sorry that work is boring, though. I'll drink a beer by the glaciar for you today ;)

-Sarah-

  alpiner84 Feb 25, 2008 1:34 AM

9

Hey Sarah,

Read your RMRP listserv story & decided to checkout this website. This entry is enchanting! You should think about being a travel writer, maybe have your own show on TV-be the next Rick Steves or Sarah Brown. :) I am enjoying NZ very much. Going to Akaroa this weekend. I need to update my journal more often, which is http://journals.worldnomads.com/walkamile/

Have Great Adventures!

  Maddy Feb 29, 2008 7:15 AM

About alpiner84


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.