Existing Member?

Peregrinations Mexico and Central America on Motorcycle: Open road, open heart, open mind.

There´s a first time for everything

ARGENTINA | Thursday, 24 January 2008 | Views [1090] | Comments [8]

Beach on the Rio Uruguay.

Beach on the Rio Uruguay.

The prints were large, about four inches long and two inches wide. A series of them led off across the wet sand, disappearing over a hill. They were shaped like the letter ¨Y¨ with an extra prong in the middle, or like an upide-down peace symbol without the circle around it. Except, peace symbols didn´t usually have talon imprints at the tip of each line.

We followed the tracks over the hill and saw that they continued over the next crest. From my new vantage point I paused to look around, to see if any birds were yet visible. A warm gust of wind blew my hair across my eyes. The Rio Uruguay was slate-gray under a canopy of matching clouds. The beach was deserted this morning, all traces of yesterday´s beach-goers gone with the rain. They were all still sleeping, tucked into their tents back at the campsite. The only creatures awake at the moment were Kyle and me, and the birds we stalked.

Cresting the next sandy ledge, we were rewarded with the sight of four dark bodies standing near the water´s edge. I pulled out my binoculars and looked. Sure enough, they were Crested Caracaras, the birds we had been following. They were clustered on the shore, occipital crests blowing in the wind, picking around for leftover bait fish and scraps. Unlike most falcons, Caracaras were scavengers that rarely caught their own food. They also stood a full five inches taller than Peregrine Falcons, and had bare pink faces where most falcons had dark chinstraps.

As Kyle and I approached the birds for a better look, they took to the air, caught the warm river breeze and soared effortlessly to a point high above the beach. White wingtips and tails flashed in the flat morning light, and they called out with piercing cries before disappearing downshore.

I smiled as they winged out of sight. Five years ago I´d never have imagined I would someday track falcons across a beach in Argentina. "Well," I thought, "there´s a first time for everything."

Tags: Raptors

Comments

1

hi sarah!!!! i really miss you! Nice "Big Apple" thing from Evita!!!! u wite me bak mknj?

  ashlynn Jan 28, 2008 10:23 AM

2

What´s an mknj? Just got to the Ënd of the World and had a crab dinner. Yum! There´s a postcard on the way to you! -S-

  alpiner84 Jan 30, 2008 12:15 PM

3

NICE DINNER!!! Mknj is just ok, but i waz to lazy to to write the o on my cell so i did mk...and i just added the nj...no reason...! Hey i still mess and i cant wait for the post card! LUV U MISS U L8TR!!!

  ashlynn Jan 30, 2008 1:38 PM

4

Glad you are enjoying your trip so much. It's great to see the photo's.
Did Ashlynn mention we just watched "Evita" this week-end? We thought of you often, still do!
Take care,

Love ya, Kelly

  Kelly Jan 31, 2008 11:36 AM

5

Hiii!!! hey do cats just rome around the streets of B.A.? anyway is it ok if i give your blog adress to Mr.Miller? he wants to see your pictures of B.A. sience were studying Evita! Isnt that weird? your in B.A. when were studing it?! Thats soooo kool beans!

  ashynn Jan 31, 2008 12:02 PM

6

HIII!!!! i got your post card and i miss you a lot!

  ashlynn Feb 3, 2008 9:59 AM

7

mmmmmmm. write like that more please.

  accidental hermit Feb 4, 2008 12:45 AM

8

Of course you can give him the address, Ashlynn. That would be great. Cats don´t roam the streets (just the graveyards) but there are dogs everywhere! Glad you got my postcard.

Eric: more like that coming tomorrow, I think!

  alpiner84 Feb 4, 2008 5:10 AM

About alpiner84


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.