Existing Member?

Travel Tales

Paradise Found

ITALY | Thursday, 10 September 2009 | Views [355]

Arrived after a long long journey and number of train changes.  Give us back the swiss trains!   Eventually got to Manarola with the pleasant surprise of a ramp to our accommodation in lieu of the 123 stairs we were expecting, so all very happy except one.  Room is spectacular with even more spectacular views across the Ligurian.  

 

Went for the short 4.5 hour stroll along the coastal track.   Enough said as still a bit wounded from the experience.  Jo wouldn’t wait for us and made us do it all in one day from Riomaggiore to Monterosso. We especially liked the steps from Vernazza to Monterosso.  Stopped counting after the first 300.  And because we didn’t think there were enough steps, made two wrong turns and had to backtrack.  Refer to photos, I’m sure that we will remember it fondly one day. In all seriousness, the views along the way were… words cannot describe but Paul thought maybe better than Cronulla!!!!   Food has been amazing and lived up to expectations.  Had focaccia that was unbelievably good and worth a trip back to Monterosso, strawberries  and peaches that are soft and sweet, eating too much gelatti and yes, back on the divine coffee. Food has been amazing all around.

 

Mum had a lovely trip on the ferry and even met a famous painter, named Roland in Vernazza.

 

Headed up to Volastra for a daytrip.  The bus ride up was very interesting, narrow winding roads that really should be one way, at one point we passed a cement truck which seemed impossible, but managed to squeeze through ok. Great views from Volastra back to Manarola, had a bit of a tasting from the grape vine….very sweet.

 

 

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.