Existing Member?

Europe Travel Tales 2009 Planning, panicking and doing a wonderful solo trip, at least for part of the time, to destinations in fabulous Europe.

Planning and Booking

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 10 April 2009 | Views [611]

Friday April 10, 2009. Good Friday.

Well I'm now rewriting this, and have already learned a valuable lesson on this site - DO NOT NAVIGATE AWAY FROM THIS PAGE UNTIL ITS SAVED!!

Just got home from work (0730hrs)and thinking back on the events of the past week. Chose Flight Centre as my travel agent (Marie) and have booked the wonderful Intrepid Tour, Paris-Venice over 23 days. Quite obviously, I begin in Paris and take in Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Poland, the Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary, Slovenia and Italy.

Am still waiting to hear back from Marie about flights. Singapore Airlines have just released a fabulous <$1500 return to Europe. Hoping to fly into Paris, leaving Australia August 30, so will get to see a little more of Paris before the tour starts on September 5. It finished in Venice, and since I've already spent almost a week there previously, plan to leave by train immediately and return to Vienna. 2 days is obviously not enough to really appreciate the allegedly beautiful place. From there on, by train once again, to Zurich for the last few days of my leave. If all goes to plan, Zurich will be my exit city home.

Great excitement when Marie confirmed my place on the Paris-Venice tour, as I had watched the tour places disappear before my eyes a few days before. Suddenly 7+ places became 3. Memories of my planned Italy trip a couple of years ago that had to become a different trip when all places were booked suddenly and quickly.

It was with eagerness that I jumped onto my online bank to immediately pay the $300 deposit that was due 2 days later. My stomach dropped rapidly as I watched $3000 make its way to Flight Centre; one too many zeros. I had almost paid for the whole trip 3 months early. Another lesson - don't do financial stuff when you're still half asleep.

But its all done now, and I'm really pleased to finally have it all confirmed.

Onward with the planning and dreaming stage!!

Saturday April 11

It's Easter Saturday and I've got a day off - still haven't heard from Marie. Had a look on the Singapore Airlines website at those cheap flights - and just as I thought - nothing available, not only for the dates I want, but the whole month!!

I'm now thinking that I'm probably going to have to fly into/out of Zurich. Seems a lot cheaper than Paris, and also more readily available. Costs around $2000.

Tags: planning stages

About ally007


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.