Existing Member?

I want to see the World

Journey to Chefchaouen!

MOROCCO | Thursday, 26 February 2015 | Views [326]

Sounds of the Tangier's in the bus station was an odd song, harsh but melodic. Not like the calm stations of Europe, the place is chaotic, dirty, and more men from the companies than customers. The robed men walked past us as we sat waiting for the one o'clock bus... their eyes are big, staring, with interest or awareness we were tourists. I've noticed in this part not all women cover their hair. Most do but I have seen one girl covered and another not, walking side by side. For those that cover themselves, they express themselves through their colourful socks and footware. 

Bartering here is a skill. We tried to get a taxi for 200dhl but no luck all would not go lower than 500dlh. So the bus was our path to the mountain village! The bus was full when we got on, mostly all men, and the guy in charge of the seats and luggage (had to pay 20dhl for each item) asked people to give seats to us... People had gotten on without paying. 

 

The ride was about three in a half hours long. I saw so many stereotypes through the window. Men packing their goods on their donkeys, two donkeys kissing, though they barely could touch one another, a massive flea market with women dressed head to tie in traditional looking Mexican ware of this region, and kids playing football in the middle of nowhere. The landscape is massive as we passed through the mountains. Even when we stopped, life didn't seem to slow down! Food sellers came on shoving toffees or cakes in our faces one such man was older and spoke French Spanish and English. 

 

Finally got to Chefchaouen. And the fun in finding a place to stay began. We were escorted by a guy called billy to the travellers hostel so we looked, the people are indeed very friendly, then we asked a German couple on the street where they were staying and after a hotel we came across casa amina. It's a little house full of yellow and blue decore with an open living room, couches decorated with royal flower motifs. Suddenly a older man in a grey robe appeared, his smile was very friendly, name Abd Malik, and he said we could sleep on the couches for 30dhl each!! 

Venturing out we saw what they meant of it being the blue medina, the colour closer to God. Blue shops with leather bags, large wool coats, hats, and wooden instruments lined the alleyways. The dress of the people were similar to Tangier but maybe less traditional. We had dinner in a small little place called Granada where the smiling chef was across from us preparing our cous cous and tagine. The night here is where the locals do come out especially from seven to eleven the shops are open and rounding little corners to see weavers or barbers chopping hair is really intriguing. We found more street food outside the medina this warm chickpea cake you put cumin on, a sweet cous cous cake, and snails.  

Tags: exploration, village

About alistar


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.