Existing Member?

I want to see the World

Welcome to Tangier! To Moroccan Africa.

MOROCCO | Wednesday, 25 February 2015 | Views [395]

Wow. Those are my words to describe my first full day here in Tangier. After arriving early evening the day before, venturing out along the main market street I knew I had arrived in a place unlike what I have ever encountered. Taking that memorable step onto Africa from the boat from Tarifa was one thing but we were flung into it completely... With three men escourting us to the hostel, to other robed men shouting to trust these men, to men being everywhere staring persistently. 

 

Morning was greeted by Moroccan sweet mint tea. Delight at anytime. After chilling at the hostel with guitar music we went straight into the medina. The buildings were friendly in the day all painted different colours, the walls are the stories of the people, children draw on them.... Numbers littered the walls. Each corner you rounded there was a small home made shop crammed full of food or a bakery. Men wearing the popular robed dress, all different colours, were everywhere. It has a seedy, old, falling apart atmosphere. Women, not all cover their hair surprisingly, most do but I think it's more relaxed here because we are at a port. Walking is how you see the culture. We saw men enter the mosque at a different entrance than women and all must take off their shoes. Then as pray finished there was a loud sing song and turning we say a procession of men carrying bodies all wrapped in a beautiful green garment... Commemoration of the passing. 

 

We came across a local soon after. Such a character and definitely a story to tell. We went up the Kasbah with this Richard and drank Mint Tea watching the sunset at Cafe Hafa. Here people drink little alcohol and it's refreshing... After all it's muslim. 

Richard then invited us to his house... kitch but lovely interior with great tiles on the walls and flowered couches... After eating Tajine and three servings of tea and having Hemma painted... We got a taste of jazz music. It was curious to see the specific roles of each member... the father was definantly the master of his home and had free will to ask anything. 

 

An adventure into the house of a Moroccan... Tea, food, and observations. 

 

What Africa is... Well it's colour in life, it's vibrant in life and sound and smell. For me, it's walking the steps of my grandma who travelled this way. Let this begin. 

Tags: cities, morocco

About alistar


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.