Existing Member?

Al's epic odyssey "A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

Cape Town & Somerset West

SOUTH AFRICA | Tuesday, 28 July 2009 | Views [642]

I flew down to Cape Town and met up with old University day friends who are still living there. It was great to catch up again, reminiscing over a bottle of single malt whisky. I used to have a fairly large circle of friends in Cape Town as I’d studied there and worked there for 9 years, but most have now moved on.

I popped in to see the ex-office. There are a remarkable number of familiar faces there still. I had long chats and caught up with everyone. Not many companies can boast that degree of loyalty. I must admit, I’d probably still be there if I hadn’t taken the plunge and moved to the UK 15 years ago.

The company seems to be riding out the recession quite well. South Africa in general seems to be better positioned than the Middle East and the UK. I don’t think they had the same level of exposure to debt as the UK and they are already investing heavily in infrastructure projects, building up to the 2010 Football World Cup.

I travelled out to spend a night with my cousin and her family out in Somerset West which is on the False Bay coastline. It’s a lovely town with beautiful picturesque suburbs. I can see why so many of my family choose to live there. We had a bit of a family get together with four cousins and an old school friend popping in for a few drinks. The next morning we went to visit an Uncle and Aunt who live there as well. My uncle has taken up art and is now drawing the most fantastic cartoons at the age of about 78. Both of them are updating their memoirs which make fascinating reading about their exploits and adventures in colonial Southern Africa.

Next stop Johannesburg for the job interview and some life changing decisions.

Tags: cape town, somerset west

 

About alistair


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.