Existing Member?

Al's epic odyssey "A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

Cathcart, Eastern Cape

SOUTH AFRICA | Monday, 13 July 2009 | Views [768]

I spent most school holidays with my Uncle, Aunt and cousins farm in the Cathcart district and my sister also married a local farmer, so I’ve been visiting for alternate Christmas holidays ever since. It’s like home from home for me, although I’ve not been here for a winter for probably 20 years.

It’s quite dry at the moment, the rainfall comes mostly in the summer but occasional winter rain or snow is not unusual. The summer was particularly dry so the dams need replenishing. There was snow forecast for a few days and it certainly been cold, but apart from a short rain shower materialised, not a sign of the white stuff.

Cathcart itself is a small farming town; about two hours drive inland from East London. The population is only a few hundred people. There used to be a hotel with a bar but ironically that has now closed and been converted to a centre for rehabilitating alcoholics. The Golf, Bowls and Tennis Clubs are largely the focus of social activity. I played golf last Saturday, lots of it. My excuse was that I was playing with clubs borrowed from the family golfing museum and my ‘Mashie Niblick’ wasn’t quite working for me. In truth it was more about lack of practice and the muscle between my ears. I lost Twenty Five Rand in our side bet and I almost felt I should pay my partners bet as well as I’d been absolutely no help to him at all. After a few beers at the 19th we went to the ‘Steakhouse’ a monthly restaurant evening run by the local Round Table. It was great to meet up with so many old friends and some family again.

I’ve not been out and about on the farm much; it’s been a bit cold. I have been keeping myself pretty busy on the laptop, planning a cottage renovation for my Aunt and Uncle, helping map the farm with some new GIS software for my brother in law and generally keeping myself entertained. 

I head back down to East London tomorrow to price materials for the renovation project and then head off to Morgan Bay (just up the coast from Haga Haga) for a few more days at the sea.

Tomorrow evening I have a golf lesson with David Frost the South African champion golfer. He’s holding a charity coaching clinic for my niece’s school and I’ve been volunteered by my brother for a lesson. I think I probably need more than one though!

I’ve still not heard back from the company that I went to an interview with, so it looks like the travels will continue as planned.

 

Tags: cathcart, farming

 

About alistair


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.