Existing Member?

For the non-believers!

A Belgian Christmas

BELGIUM | Wednesday, 29 December 2010 | Views [420]

On Christmas Eve, just as the last minute shoppers started going crazy in London I boarded my tour for Belgium. Dom, Tessa, Jemma, Tara and I were all in high spirits and ready for our adventure. Bus ride = fine Ferrie ride = near death experience We were told that the Ferrie had never been that bad. It was bad, and it seems I may have gotten my Mums sea sickness and was a real mess for the whole thousand minutes journey (actual time 1 1/2 hours). On the other side of the English Channel we boarded our bus for Brugge. Brugge was a beautiful place. Cobble stone streets, cute little houses, everything covered in christmas lights, Little castles and cathedrals everywhere. On our first afternoon we just sucked up the culture, food, wine and sights of Brugge. Before long we had eaten our first of many (tessa) Bratwursts. They were delicious!! As you could imagine there were a lot of chocolate shops... I'm talking everywhere! I think I picked a bad shop because on my first day the chocolate I had tasted like Cadburys. But I was later told there was much nicer chocolate to be found. Christmas morning Dom, Jem and I went Ice Skating in a rink in the middle of Markt Square. What a surreal feeling to be Ice Skating on Christmas Day with Castle like buildings all around. Let me inform you all that we did not fall over once!! Very proud! Then we headed over the road to our Chrsitmas Lunch. The food and drink was so delicious I didnt realise that I accidentally drank 1.5 Litres of Leffe Blond during lunch. Let me just say the beer is always in bigger glasses here. So after lunch I stumbled over the road and went on a horse and cart ride with the girls, apparently screaming what I thought was a dutch "Merry Christmas" to who ever would listen. This gave great amusement to our cart driver who just cackled at me nearly the whole trip. The next day we got up nice and early to head to Brussles for the day. This was a stunning city! We did a walking tour and ended up walking for 4 hours! Saw some beautiful things like the Art Neavou district and some huge statues who's names have been list on me right now. I will think about the and add them later. Brussles was covered in snow and was so beautiful. I have so so so much more to write about Brussles but I think I will have to just go back there to be able to say all I want! One day was just not enough!!!! After Brussles we headed to a bar in Brugge and had a bit of a big night out in town. The final day was the journey back and let me tell you I was not happy about getting back on that ferrie!! But everything was fine and we all made it back in one piece!

About alisonbraidwood


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Belgium

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.