Existing Member?

For the non-believers!

The Journey: Never a Dull Moment

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 20 December 2010 | Views [380]

I would have much preferred an event-less journey, but if you know me you probably aware that weird things happen to me a lot. My 30 odd hours in transit were far from event-less.

So I arrived in Melbourne and boarded my flight for London. That was all fine.

I then slept and slept and slept (against some advice that when traveling to the UK you should stay awake - perhaps this advice would have worked if I had not gotten drunk with Imogene, Alki and Ozgur on my last night in Melbourne). The next stop was Doha.

We landed in Doha and I was loving the view. It was like the middle of the dessert with these metallic high rise buildings that look like something out of 2050! I was actually really enjoying looking around at this stage... Then we finally get off the plane and we were in the middle of a field. We all loaded on to a bus and then were transported for 25 minutes to the airport! I could not believe it. Once we got to the airport it was chaos! TOTAL CHAOS! I had a two hour stop over but I really did not think I would make it through security in time for my flight. There were people everywhere, no signs, pushing and shoving. Well I am the queen of the shove and I managed to get into a line that got me through and on to my plane. Doha was the most horrible place I have ever been. If anyone is going to book a flight to London do not choose stop over in Doha!

Anyway then after another 25 minute bus ride to board my next plane my flight was off and headed to LONDON!!!

After way to many plane meals and a feeling like I was going to have to throw up on myself the poor man next to me I was about to land in the UK. Snow covered London looked beautiful from the plane!

Then after waiting in a grueling line at border security I was greeted with a not so happy man. The man that was going to grant me entry started on a rant. He basically said that I was stealing jobs from the people in UK and with the unemployment rate as high as it was that I should expect to not get work. He went on to ask what I would do if I had no job and told me I was very rude to come and steal work. He also said the phrase "you should go back to your own country"!!!!! I had no idea what to do so I just smiled and nodded until he put the stamp in my passport and let me through. I ended our not so great conversation with a 'Merry Christmas" (actual meaning = you are a nasty nasty man!)

And then I made my way to the baggage carousel... where I found my overpacking may not have been such a great idea. The seams in my day pack on the front of my backpack had torn letting all of the contents out onto the baggage carousel. I was pretty upset but the only thing I have lost is one shoe (out of a pair) so I think that is a rather good outcome!

Anyway now I'm here, settled with internet and a phone #. It has been snowing a bit and I have really been loving it. Dom and I went shopping on Sat arvo and I am loving the shops, the food and the atmostphere of London! I miss everyone already but it will get better. Lawrence I <3 U!!!

About alisonbraidwood


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.