Existing Member?

unculturednearanimallevel

Manali to Leh motorcycle trip

INDIA | Thursday, 22 July 2010 | Views [1565] | Comments [2]

 Ok, so I know I promised to write more about India but there is something more that is intriguing me far more. 

Just a quick background. I am currently in Mcleod Ganj/Dharamsala, the city for the exiled government of Tibet aka this is where the Dalai Lama lives. Its fantastic and its high up in the Himalayas. Sometimes it rains, sometimes it doesnt but after the insane heat of New Delhi this place is a phenomenal respite. All around are the mountains and I can actually see the clouds going through the town. Its absolutely stunning.

Tomorrow I am getting on bus and heading further up, higher into the Himalayas towards Kashmir. The town is called Menali, and while I hear its nothing special, to me it means a perfect point to rent a motorcycle and and begin a grueling muddy 500km journey to Leh, a city in Kashmir, nestled some 3524 meters (11,562 ft) in the Himalayas.

I will admit, I am not prepared for this trip, but it is bound to be amazing.

I leave you with some photos of what the passes look like.

Tags: dalai lama, dharamsala, india, kashmir, leh, mcleod ganj, menali, motorcycle

Comments

1

I travelled from Delhi to Leh with every single transportation you can imagine 3 years ago when I was 17! If I may, I would reccomend you staying at a small guest house there called "Shanti", its on Top of a hill in Leh and you have the nicest view of the city...The rooms are very clean, with hot water and "normal" toilets, if you know what I mean :) they've got really good breakfast and they are very friendly and they've got there own beautiful vegetable garden....Have a safe trip!

  Alexa Aug 9, 2010 8:37 PM

2

I also did this adventure journey, a dearm ride for every biker. You ca have a look at the photographs of the trip here..

http://karantraveller.blogspot.in/2012/12/manali-leh-motorcycle-trip-photodairy.html

  karantraveller Dec 19, 2012 2:03 PM

About alexkozovski


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.