Existing Member?

Trans-Siberian Adventure!

Arrival into Irkutsk

RUSSIAN FEDERATION | Saturday, 11 October 2014 | Views [214]

Up at 7.30am as had to leave the train at 8.38am.  The train arrived earlier and we were met by out guide Helen who came with us to the village that we were staying at 'Lystyvanka'.  The village is on the banks of Lake Baikal and this is the deepest lake in the world.  Once we arrived at the village we found that we were staying at a very small guesthouse owned by Nikolai and his wife.  He doesn't know much English but is very expressive so you can understand what he is saying!

Spent until about 1pm resting and then we went to have a look at the village.  There is not much here and had luch of Plov (chicken and rice) and chicken skewers cooked over a bbq.  It was good but very greasy!

We carried on walking and we sat and had a drink in a cafe and a peice of cake with two russian ladies who both worked for Mars.

I then walked to the museum about the lake but found that it was about to close.  

In the evening went for a meal with Martin at a local restaurant and had the local fish caught in the lake 'Omul' baked with potatoes and cheese. It was really tasty and it was washed down with Russain Baltika beer number 7.  There was an English couple sitting on the table behind us and they were the first English people I'd seen all trip.  The meal finished with pancakes with melted chocolate and strawberries.  

About alexhodge


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Russian Federation

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.