Existing Member?

Trans-Siberian Adventure!

Trip around Yekaterinburg and start of second train journey

RUSSIAN FEDERATION | Wednesday, 8 October 2014 | Views [278]

After breakfast met our guide Olga who first took us to the Europe and Asia border shaped with an A and an E.It was strange having one foot in each continent!The weather was the same in both continents!!

Following this we went to visit Ganina Yama where the bodies of the last Tsar, his wife and children were initay buried after they were killed.It is now a monastery and is amazing how peaceful it is considering what happened there.We then headed back to the city to visit the church built on the site where the Tsar and family had been shot.  Unfortunately we couldn't visit the inside if the church as the relics of a saint from Cyprus had been brought there for a few weeks and people we're queuing hours to see them.The relics are supposed to be ae to bring good monetary fortune to those that pray by them!We then had a quick walk around the city centre and a tour in our minibus.I was surprised that there was still a statue of Lenin but there are no plans to remove this.

I had booked late checkout from the hotel so we had somewhere to wait until we were collected to be taken to the station for our train to Irkutsk. Whist waiting in the afternoon we had food in a Scottish themed pub!

Once on the train it seemed that I was going to be in cabin full of a travelling group of Police volleyball players who were off to a competition somewhere.Once we checked I found that the details on my ticket were different to where I should have been.I think that they were relieved that I was not sharing with them but instead were sharing with the rest of the tour group.

About alexhodge


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Russian Federation

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.