Existing Member?

Al and Veronika Trip 2011

Cambodia and KL

CAMBODIA | Sunday, 16 October 2011 | Views [394]

Going from $12 a beer in Singapore to 50 cents a beer in Phnom Penh was a great start, for me at least, to our adventure in Cambodia. Cheap beer, however, was not the (only) reason we had chosen Cambodia to be the next on our list of countries to visit but rather the culture, history and natural beauty on offer. Shortly after our arrival in the capital Phnom Penh (a name I can rarely spell nor pronounce correctly) we were joined on our travels by another of the Boesch family, this time Veronika’s dad Peter. We spent a great first evening catching up with Peter in the FCC (Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Cambodia) overlooking the Tonle Sap river while wining and dining on delicious Khmer cuisine and one too many bottles of red wine.

Without question, two of the places to visit in and around Phnom Penh are the Tuol Sleng museum (also known as S21) and the Killing Fields of Choeung Ek. Both are stark reminders of the brutality of the Khmer Rouge regime which wiped out about 20% of Cambodia’s population in the mid to late 1970’s. Also worth a visit were the Royal Palace and National Museum which were just a short walk or quick Tuk-Tuk ride from our hotel on the riverfront. The Central Market and the Russian Market also provided a great insight into local culture.

It took just a day or two after arriving to feel the warmth of the Cambodian people. Even haggling over the price of a Tuk-Tuk ride seems to be a more pleasant experience here than in other neighbouring countries as it is always done with a smile on their face and in good nature. Veronika, a notoriously tough negotiator in these situations, often had to bite her tongue and grimace as Peter and I gave in meekly to the friendly drivers, street vendors or ladies in the markets. Very often they would ask, of course, where we were from and when they had not heard of Austria (“no, NOT Australia”) this usually led Peter into giving a quick history and geography lesson on the spot to the unsuspecting Tuk-Tuk driver or waitress. Make no mistake, they are now all too well aware of the Habsburg Monarchy, Mozart and, especially, the Wiener Walzer!

Having been assured several times and by several people that the boat from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap was running we arrived at the boat terminal early in great anticipation. However, 15 minutes after arriving and having being spun a yarn (smiling, of course) about an impending storm (=not enough passengers), we soon found ourselves in a jazzed-up Toyota Camry ready for the 4 hour journey north.

We arrived in Siem Reap to find much of the old town still under water from the flooding that much of the country had suffered from recently. That, however, would not deter us from our main mission in Siem Reap which was of course to go and see that wonder of the world, the ancient ruins of Angkor Wat. The Angkor Wat temple itself is best viewed at sunrise so, with sleepy eyes, we stumbled out of bed at 4:30am just to be ready. We were glad we came early as apparently the sunrise viewing is no secret and we had to jostle with hundreds of others, still in darkness, to get a good viewing point. However, soon the sun came up over the great temple and you could see the reflection in the lake just in front of us…magical stuff. No sooner had the sun come up and we had quickly marvelled at the scene then we were off to beat the crowds to see Angkor Thom, The Bayon, The Baphoun, The Terrace of the Elephants and the list goes on of all the other amazing ruins in the vicinity. Fortunately, and more surprisingly, no-one else seemed to have the same plan as we were then left completely alone to wander through and up the amazing city of temples.

It was in Siem Reap that I was to discover a quirk (or a perk?) of travelling with an orthopaedic surgeon (Veronika’s dad, Peter).  After a busy day of sight-seeing I was enjoying a relaxing swim in the hotel pool when Peter noticed my complete lack of ability to do the breast-stroke kick properly. When I told him I knew how to do it technically but was incapable of doing it properly, I was immediately summoned out of the pool and on to a sun lounger by the pool for a full blown examination of my bodily movements. After the examination did indeed confirm I would have difficulty doing the breast-stroke kick motion I then left the pool area…..armed with an extensive set of stretching exercises and a new swimming coach….although still no invoice thankfully!

After our disappointment in not being able to take the boat from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap we were only cautiously optimistic when informed that, of course, the boat from Siem Reap to our next destination Battambang was running. We need not have been worried…despite the difficulties the minibus, overloaded with backpackers…and err…Veronika’s dad… had in reaching the boat dock through the flooded villages. We had seen pictures of the “Angkor Express”, a very nice looking boat used for this journey apparently….but what awaited us at the dock was something altogether different. More of a glorified rowing boat with small engine…and a steering wheel from a Toyota Camry no less! A few anxious glances were exchanged by all aboard before we set off for the 6 hour journey. The boat ride, however, was a real highlight for me. Given that we are still in the wet season the water levels were high which meant we were able to navigate through extremely narrow channels, waterways and wetlands giving us a glimpse into the floating village lifestyle and the lush beautiful surrounding countryside. We even stopped at one of the floating villages for a toilet break….a real delight Veronika informed me!

 We had a couple of days in Battambang which gave us time to walk around and enjoy the town. Much of its charm comes from the colonial architecture and we were fortunate to have picked a lovely place to stay, an old colonial villa stylishly converted into a small hotel. Not so fortunate was the ear-splittingly loud Khmer dance music which came from the water festival fun fair just outside the hotel. It had been a couple of days since anyone had been given a brief Austrian history lesson so we carefully picked our next victim…a nice young Tuk-Tuk driver. He gave as good as he got, however, and he took us on a great tour of the city and of the surrounding countryside out to a complex of temples set high up a mountain. Even here, the grim past of the Khmer Rouge regime was present as halfway up the mountain are the Killing Caves of Phnom Sampeau.  

Another travel day involving yet more Toyota Camrys took us all the way south to the beach town of Sihanoukville. Here we were able to relax, read and swim in the sea…till we spotted the biggest jellyfish you could possibly imagine. After that, it was hard to get Veronika to put even her big toe in the sea. This obviously meant more time in the pool and yet more stretching and swimming lessons from Peter for me!

Our final night in Cambodia was spent back in Phnom Penh and back in the FCC (Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Cambodia) where it had all started two weeks earlier with Peter. The following day we all headed off to the airport with Peter flying back to Austria and Veronika and I bound for Malaysia for a brief stop with my friend Cavey in Kuala Lumpur.

The bustling modern city of Kuala Lumpur certainly made a change from the previous two weeks but we were not complaining as we got to enjoy the delights of the city from aloft Cavey’s penthouse apartment on the 34th floor. After a day spent walking around the city, seeing the impressive Petronas Towers and observing the thousands of men coming and going from the huge Mosque nearby for Friday prayers, we were then given a taste of the KL nightlife. Having eaten some delicious seafood (chicken fish?) in the Hawker street market we were then taken up to the fabulous Skybar with amazing views of the skyline. Not surprisingly with Cavey as our generous host, over the course of the 2 nights we were there, we got to enjoy many other fine establishments and had a great time and a sore head!

Then we were on the move again…..

About ag


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.