Existing Member?

african bliss for bohemian mermaids here you will find: my mind, lost in time linguistic trance-lations of dance, epic mom-ents mosquito net placements and i bet some cosmic revelations inspired by zulu nations

the good-gift bye to burkina

BURKINA FASO | Sunday, 8 April 2007 | Views [921]

its been so long since i've posted anything, even though i write pages and pages everyday. so-here's the last story of the previous chapter of that other lifetime when i was in burkina faso... i was ready to go, after a month of never speaking english, eating ground cassava and onions everyday and forgetting how to interact with a flushing toilet and a metal eating utensil because i haven't used either of those two things for so long. though bobo was the first place i'd been that had become like a home, seeing the same people in the streets everyday, riding my bicycle down the same dirt paths and dancing everyday to the now too familiar rythms. it all came to a celebratory full circle on the last day, when my adopted burkinabe family decided to throw a bit of a going away party for me, inviting all our transient friends and curious neighbors and fellow dancers - and it was all so beautiful and delicious. all the sisters and i spent all morning in the market, buying barrels of tomatoes and onions and pasta and fish, then all afternoon cooking in the smoky kitchen hut over the rocket stove (yes, rocket stove!!) and then spending all evening eating the feast with our hands and laughing and drumming and exchanging gifts-i couldn't have felt more loved in such a faraway place. the following day, the path flowed forward in perfect syncronicity, yet again, and i got an easy ride to ougadougou with a burkinabe friend, stayed with another extended family who lent me their motorbike while i was there-got my ghanain visa and jumped on another uncertain bus with another uncertain destination, slept on another patch of muddy ground between two parked buses at four in the morning because i had no choice, crossed another border and for the first time in many months-saw rain!!!

Tags: On the Road

About africalis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Burkina Faso

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.