Existing Member?

african bliss for bohemian mermaids here you will find: my mind, lost in time linguistic trance-lations of dance, epic mom-ents mosquito net placements and i bet some cosmic revelations inspired by zulu nations

gnaoua and goat skin

MOROCCO | Friday, 29 December 2006 | Views [911] | Comments [3]

music flows through the streets of this city like the lifeblood of god penetrating humanity. it is what the people here live for, singing in the streets with a passion that is impossible to misinterpret. it is a perpetual festival, a land where the sound of song is pervasive and contagious::a creative force. in the absence of food and shelter and water, when one has nothing left but their own two hands to clap together, it is this rythm that sustains them: healing heartbeats through stomping feet and songs to save the days of the desparate. 

and so it is what fills my days and my spirit here, synchronistic encounters with drum carvers and gnaoua players. i wander through the skinny alleys toward the sweetest sounds, and musicians pull me in because they know that i feel it, they see the light sparkling through my ears and eyes and heart. we're always in a circle; sitting on one djembe and playing another, castinettes clapping in both hands until their iron weight makes them fall. the rythm's always ascending, flying faster toward the impossible speed of sound, and my hands can hardly keep up. for hours we will play like this, after lunch, after sunset, after one song ends we start another. they teach me rythms and laugh and tell me 'good!good!' i feel like such a priveledged female, to be making music in this country where women go so unheard.

yesterday they taught me how to put the skin on a drum-i soaked the old goat in water until it sprouted, stretched it tight across this iron ring and tied the knots around the wood, balancing the circle and the tone. and then we played for all the gods. sometimes they all trance out in the rythm so intensely that the hoods on their jellabas fall over their shaking heads. really, the music is what saves me here. it is what calls me, what i always migrate towards, where i feel the deepest, what i can't resist, and what fills me more than food.

with magic, and more soon....

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

lisen love is spread across the continents of dry land, lush-iscousness, rivers falling into the vast wide open seas between us. your words bring me far away from here and now, that which becomes my reality; from ancient times past, an etched memory. you bring me out of habit and familiar, and beyond into my dreams, melding your reality. you are living your dreams this moment, and you help me remember mine. thanks for sharing...and remember

  cesily Jan 9, 2007 9:58 PM

2

miss you missalissakissa:) happy to read your words and feel your experiences. there is no distance only consciousness and love. feed us from your dreams and wanderings. tell us of the beauty and the truth. tell us. love and light surrounds you and radiates from you.

  aunt donna Jan 10, 2007 12:31 PM

3

Morning Star Corporation
Saeed Centre Near overhead Bridge, Sialkot- Pakistan
Ph #: 0092 52 459 8895 Fax #: 0092 52 4297748
Email: info@mscorporation.biz , URL: www.mscorporation.biz

FAO: IMPORT/PURCHASING SECTION.
Dear Sir/Madam
Greeting from Morning Star Corporations
We have seen your company information from the Internet and found it to be interesting.
We, Morning Star Corporation are exclusive manufacturers and exporters of high quality Music Instruments & we are specialized in All Musical Instruments (several patterns, mostly Irish drums, trumpets and flutes).our standard compliance policy is ISO-9002/EN-46002 etc.

Drums Skins

Wooden Hoop Shell

All kind of trumpets

All Kind of Hand drums and tambourines


All kinds of Percussion and other drums
(For more information and details you can visit: www.mscorporation.biz or contact us:)
If you are interested in reviewing business possibilities with our company we can offer you:
1. Most competitive prices
2. Committed delivery terms
3. Highest quality standard
4. Fast and excellent services
Our website shows the product code for each which may prove helpful in preparing your purchasing requirements. Should you have any question or concern, please let us inform so that we can discuss this issue accordingly. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation; we will await your reply and remain with all the best wishes.
Kind Regards
Mubasher Tahir
(Cell#: 0092-3-9617523)
Export Department
Email: sales@mscorporation.biz

  Mr Mubashir Mar 13, 2009 9:57 PM

About africalis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.