Existing Member?

Up close and personal in Beijing Knowing what you want to say in Chinese can be easy.....but understanding what these people are saying back to me may be one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. Let the adventure begin!

Watermelon Museum Field Trip

CHINA | Friday, 6 July 2007 | Views [3792]

Class picture at Watermelon Museum.

Class picture at Watermelon Museum.

Watermelon Museum Field Trip               7-6-07

Today we went to the Watermelon Museum in the DaXing Province.  It was about a 1 hour drive from the Kindergarten.  I once thought it was a bad idea to put about 12 people in our 7 passenger van at home. However, today I was sardined into a what should be 9 passenger minivan which we managed to put 28 people into. Granted they are small children, this is still no reason to cram so many in.  Could you imagine the Headline if something had happened? “28 die in 2 car crash, one vehicle included a minivan carrying all 28.” This is the difference between the U.S. and China. We actually have laws against this. 

Anyways, we arrived at the museum, where we were able to see the world’s largest Watermelon and they showed us the entire fertility process for a Watermelon.  It was very interesting to see what characteristics in growing make the melon’s taste or look different. 

After viewing the museum for about 1 hour, we headed to the parking lot to be re-sardined.  I would have to admit that the uncomfortable 2 hour ride was not worth the 30 minute tour, however it was neat to see the world’s largest watermelon and neat to know that 1/3 of the watermelons in the world come from the part of China I am living in!

 

Tags: Adventures

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.