Existing Member?

La Dolce Vita

Lost but Content in Copenhagen

DENMARK | Wednesday, 27 August 2014 | Views [1350]

Copenhagen

Copenhagen

“Next stop: Sweden.”

Yep, I got so lost upon arrival in Copenhagen that I almost ended up in Malmö, Sweden. To be fair, Malmö is only a 35-minute train/bus ride from Copenhagen (on the Øresund Bridge), but still. I jumped up from my (surprisingly comfortable) train seat and booked it out of there before I ended up in a different country.

I was somewhere in the outskirts of Copenhagen (literally, it was the very last stop.) I was extremely tired due to my early flight from London, and I was cursing my suitcase for being So. Damn. Heavy. Finally, after the kindness of several strangers, I was somehow headed in the right direction to my hostel. Or, at least I hoped I was. Traveling really makes it impossible not to trust people. Take this bus to here, and transfer to there? OK. It ended up working out in the end, thankfully, and I managed to get to my hostel with only a few blisters. 

It took me 4 hours to get from the airport to my hostel (when in reality, it should’ve taken about 40 minutes). However, I will say, Copenhagen is one of the most beautiful cities I’ve ever seen, and getting lost was actually a pleasant experience. If I were to get lost here again, I wouldn't complain. 

A few awesome observations I've made about Copenhagen so far: organic food is cheaper than non-organic food. It’s true, and it’s amazing. There is also free wifi on public transportation (which made life much easier for me when I was lost). People are happy here. It radiates from their faces. I swear, it's almost robotic (but in the nicest way possible, if that makes sense). Copenhagen was apparently voted the most livable city in the world, and I have to say, now that I am here, it makes total sense. 

If all of that wasn’t enough, just imagine a city where bikes are the major mode of transportation (Like a 100:1 bike to car ratio). There are bike repair shops on every corner. Everyone speaks English because it’s a requirement in school. There is an under-population problem so the city is very child-friendly as they want to promote people to have children. The majority of people have master’s degrees. They all have free healthcare and education. 

Ok, I'm done. I realize I sound like a walking advertisement for Copenhagen. It's just such an incredible city and the 24 hours that I've been here have been some of the most scenic and wonderful 24 hours of this entire trip. I've loved every city I've visited, but Copenhagen and I just click somehow. It's true love.

All in all, I am currently looking into a way to move here permanently.

Tags: copenhagen, denmark

About aeileenr


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Denmark

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.