Existing Member?

My OZsome Adventure

Good Ole Toukley

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 11 October 2011 | Views [362]

I arrived in Toukley, 1 1/2 hours north of Sydney, on Tuesday.  I caught the 10:15 train out of Central Station, across the street from my hostel.  I was supposed to get off at the Warnervale station, where Arch was waiting for me.  When I got to the stop I could not get the train doors to open.  I was the only one in my car exiting and the doors did not open automatically.  A man sitting near the door saw me struggling to open it and got up to help.  He could not get it to open either.  The train took off again.  I called Arch to let him know I would get off at the next stop and catch the next train back.  He told me to wait at the next station and he would come there.  He hasn't let me forget it yet.

Toukley is a small town on what Arch calls an "ismus".  It is surrounded by lakes on two sides and ocean on one.  Yesterday I heard it called "God's waiting room" because of the large elderly population.  "Country" might be my word to describe it.  I saw some people leaving the neighbors house the morning following an all-night raging party walking in the street with no shoes.  Nevermind that they had slept in the back of their truck.

I like it here.  It is much more quiet and peaceful than Sydney.  The beach is undisturbed.  My Aussie family lives here.  They all work at the same company, too.  They are Toukley royalty. 

At least 4 days of this last week, Shirley, her mother Gloria, and I have been to one of the local clubs for lunch and/or gambling.  These clubs are like mini casinos.  Michael Coglan is the CEO of the group of them.  His sons, Ben and Danny, their wife and girlfriend, their uncle, and pretty much all of their friends are employed by these clubs.  Other than one night out at the bar, this is the only time I get to see them. 

The club has good food, slots, sports book, Keno and raffles daily.  My parents would be in heaven.  But mind you, I am the youngest patron by at least 40 years.  It was nice, though.

Arch and Shirley are just as I remember them 18 years ago.  Shirley still loves to light candles and drink wine and Arch still likes to pick on me and teach me useless knowledge.  They live in the most perfect cottage on the lake.  Shirley has it decorated colorfully and comfy.  Arch has a slew of Lorakeets that stop by for feeding a few times a day.  They like to cook lovely homemade meals.  Below are some things I've tried for the first time while in Australia:
Tea with milk
Pumpkin
Curry, eggplant pickle, hot sliced mango chutney
Vegemite
Meat pie and mashie peas
Hahn Lite beer
Beet root and egg on a hamburger
Potato wedges with sweet chili and sour cream
Octopus (Occy)

In the meantime I have been searching for jobs in Queensland.  It is just too cold for me here.  I haven't packed for the cold and rain.  Out of about 15 applications, I heard back from a restaurant in Broadbeach, a hotel position in Roma which is a small mining town in the outback, and a receptionist at YHA hostel in Maroochydore.  2 interviews and a Skype session later, I'm hired for Maroochydore!  Hallelujah!  I'm moving to the Sunshine Coast!

Arch and Shirley have done everything for me this last week.  Meals, laundry, driving lessons, even set up nights out with the young folk.  I will miss them!  I hope to come back for the holidays.

 

About aearnest


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.