Existing Member?

AdventuresOfMegan

Nov 5 - Monday

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC | Monday, 5 November 2012 | Views [261]

It was a long weekend in DR, so Monday was a holiday - Constitution Day we were told. There was no circus and many places were closed for the day. The beaches were packed with locals.

Walked along the road in search of Cabarete Coffee Company - it was closed with a sign saying 'open November' :)

Kept wandering along road, being asked repeatedly if we needed a ride on a moto. Guess no one really walks along the road.

Ended up at the Belgian bakery and had some breakfast. There were a couple local boys who sat near us and were acting really strangely. Pretty sure they were high... After they'd ate, they just got up and left without paying the bill. Caused quite a scene. I looked at the baked goods, but just couldn't stomach the thought of something really sweet when it was so hot out.

Wandered back along the road, stopping at the grocery store to pick up some food to put in the mini-fridge in the room.

Sat on the beach for awhile and then eventually wandered along into town and found some lunch at Ezee cafe. Ended the meal with some chocolate Mamajuana - a very Dominican drink and often served after a meal. The addition of chocolate was a nice touch.

Sat on the beach again and had a quick dip in the ocean. Got a bit of a sunburn, but it was the only time I did. Watched the kitesurfers play in the ocean.

Jumped on a motoconcho (motorbike taxi sort of thing) and went to Gordito's - a local mexican place - for dinner on Zach's recommendation (he eats there often, even has a dish named after him). The moto on the way back felt tipsy and I wonder, looking back, whether he was an official moto driver or just some guy with a motorbike trying to make some money.

 

About adventuresofmegan


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Dominican Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.