Existing Member?

KenyaCognizance “Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge and the unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind” Bertrand Russell, English philosopher (1872-1970)

Teaching

KENYA | Thursday, 23 September 2010 | Views [479] | Comments [1]

After waiting for some action, I finally got some- Volunteer action that is! On Monday I walked to the Noonkopir Township Primary School (a 25 min walk from where I am staying). There I met the headmaster, Jackson Kaasha. He and another teacher Margret, showed Leah and I around the school. They have seven classes or grades (1-7). Each time I went before a class and said, "Good Morning," they all stood and said, "Good Morning Teacher, Strive for excellence." 'Strive for excellence' is their school motto- so cute! I am now teaching science for them for grades 6 and 7. So far this week in class 6 I have covered the reproductive organs and diseases, and in class 7 I have covered the circulatory system and drugs. I LOVE TEACHING! Especially science and sex-ed! It has given me an opportunity to relearn a lot of things (like all the compartments in and vessels that lead to the heart, and how it works). The headmaster says that I should change my career when I return home to America, because I was born to be a teacher. My year 6 class is large (68 students) and the students are ages 12-13. My year 7 class is a little smaller at 52 and are ages 14-15. I think Tuesday (my first day teaching) was my best day I have had in Kenya thus far. I finally feel useful! The teachers and headmaster are SO appreciative to have me here. All of the teachers welcomed me and I was even in a staff meeting yesterday! It is fun, but challenging teaching, especially with this cold. The weather has been hot and dry (VERY dusty) so it makes my throat sore. My housemate Leah, who started the program with me, moved out of her placement with me yesterday. She had complained to IVHQ that we were not doing what we had requested (HIV work) and asked to be moved. As to what is happening with my future with HIV/AIDS work here is the situation: Apparently the head nurse at the Saint Teresa Clinic (the one with the dead fish handshake) believes they don't need or want volunteers. However, all the nurses WANT a volunteer. So, the head lady is leaving at the end of this week and I can start placement after that. Because I recognized my work was greatly appreciated at the Noonkopir school, I didn't want to simply work there for 4 days and leave. Thus I will be teaching there all of next week as well. After that I will go to my HIV placement at Saint Teresa's. If for some reason I don't feel well needed there I will go back to teaching. That's the current plan.

This weekend my housemates (Lucy- Kenyan housemom (20), Tomas - volunteer from Chili (22) and Shelu- volunteer from England (26))and I will be going to visit Lake Victoria! I have learned my way around the town of Kitengela pretty well. Though I haven't been able to work out here, I have found that if I walk to school, home for lunch, back to school and walk home at the end of the day I have walked (more like hiked) for an hour and 40 minutes each day! Quite the work out. My insomnia and homesickness is gone, and I only wake up during the night because of my cold. Uploading pictures has been an issue due to slow connections, but I have posted some pictures on facebook. You can see them here:

Thank you everyone for all of your love and support. I am incredibly lucky to have so many people thinking and praying about me!
Kisses from Kenya,
Kris
PS- I got my hair braided! Hehehehehe :)

Comments

1

saw your hair on facebook - nice! probs a good idea!

  sarah chadwick Sep 24, 2010 3:13 AM

About adventurekris

At Arroyo Seco, June 2010

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.