Existing Member?

KenyaCognizance “Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge and the unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind” Bertrand Russell, English philosopher (1872-1970)

Kenya Day 1

KENYA | Tuesday, 14 September 2010 | Views [467] | Comments [3]

Dearest Friends and Family,

Jambo! My flight arrived at 8am this morning and I am officially living in Kenya! Getting a visa and going through customs was a breeze and I quickly found Oliver who works with the IVHQ. Myself and another volunteer from Canada rode with him back to his apartment on the other side of Nairobi. I walked into a room with 6 girls and 4 bunk beds and was overwhelmed. Within an hour of being at the the apartment, I was asked by one of the girls (who's been here for two weeks) to join her in visiting the orphanage shes been volunteering at. We walked into the compound and I was immediately surrounded by beautiful children holding my hands. I twirled them around like a ballerina and they all wanted to know my name and where I was from. So, in my first day her I have already visited and even TAUGHT in an orphanage class room full of 30+ four year olds... if you can call it teaching! Haha! Tomorrow have my orientation and will find out my placement. I am secretly wishing that they send me to Mombasa (on the coast), instead of working in Nairobi and Kibera (the largest slum in Africa- located outside of Nairobi). We shall see...

Tonight I may go out to dinner at a place called Carnivore. Apparently it is THE restaurant in Nairobi- look it up! By the way, I am so glad I visited India before this, it has prepared me A LOT. The driving is scary, but not as bad as India (sometimes they use turn signals here!) The air quality is...poor to say the least. I haven't exercised since Thursday and feel like a fatty. I dont know what opportunities I will have to work out. It is NOT safe to just go out on a run around here. Though, like in India, I feel like a movie star- people stare at me where ever I go! Something about blond hair, blue eyes and light skin...

This trip is not going to be a walk in the park; life here is dirty and hard. I've already gotten cat called and am constantly looking out for pickpockets. Here's something I jotted in my journal just minutes before landing on African soil while reflecting on the journey ahead of me: "I must have tricked myself into being this brave!"

Keep laughing about life; despite its sorrows. Maybe laugh a little extra for me.

Much Love,

Kris 

 

Comments

1

Kris! I'm so excited to be following your posts. Keep them up, and you won't have to feel as homesick. Miss you so much, already!

  Jehn Sep 15, 2010 1:01 AM

2

You are very brave! And yes, I will laugh extra for you! :)

  Jen Barker Sep 15, 2010 6:38 AM

3

i will be tuning in to all your blogging Kris, im excited to see what you get up to! miss you!

  sarah chadwick Sep 16, 2010 4:04 AM

About adventurekris

At Arroyo Seco, June 2010

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.