Existing Member?

From Sea to Sky

Sea to Sky Gondola, Squamish, BC

CANADA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [188] | Scholarship Entry

My daughter stood with her arms crossed and a frown on her face. “I don’t want to go on an adventure today,” she said, shaking her lopsided blonde pigtails.

“Today is really special; let’s just go check it out,” I encouraged.

My family and I—including my husband, son and reluctant daughter—turned the corner and brilliant green and blue gondolas popped out from behind the cedar chalet, inviting us to join in on their journey to the top of the mountain. My daughter’s dragging feet began to skip. “Can we go on it, Mom? Is this our adventure?”

“It sure is, honey—let’s go to the top of the world!”

Sea to Sky Gondolas, based out of beautiful Squamish, BC, offers ten-minute rides up the mountainside to an elevation of 885 metres above sea level. We jumped onto one of the gondolas and were quickly rising into the sky.

The 360 degree panoramic views swept from the ocean below to the snow-capped mountains above. As we rose through the air, the sun danced upon the treetops of the forest below. The smell of salt from the sea mixed with the tangy scent of the evergreens forming a familiar scent that British Columbians love.

We made it to the top of the world, still overwhelmed at the beauty surrounding us. My son and husband took off over the suspension bridge. I loved watching them walk hand in hand - not an ounce of fear in my four-year-old as he bounced over the suspended bridge, five stories above the ground.

And today, this is where we learn, explore and play—a place where trails wind up and down through forests and over bridges; where children can run through trees bigger than buildings; where pathways lead to sweeping views of forested valleys; and where the town below looks tiny next to the mountains that tower over it.

My daughter wanted to head over to the lookout and take photos. Even though her little hands can barely hold the camera, I never say no when she wants to capture a moment. Sure, I end up with pictures of knee caps and double chins, but while she looks through the lens, I capture my own memories by sharing the moment with her. I love seeing the world through her eyes.

And this is why today was special. Instead of looking through magazines featuring exotic destinations, we played in our own backyard. We walked hand in hand and explored beautiful places. We played and we laughed. Every day is a gift and this world is ours to explore. Every day should be so special.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About adventureawaits


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.