Existing Member?

Adventure_Monkey The stories here are past adventures I've been on.

Playa Salamando

CHINA | Monday, 31 December 2007 | Views [865]

The slippery wet boulders I was crawling over made it difficult for me to keep my balance as I kept my eyes peeled for crabs darting behind rocks.  A fairly impressive wave came crashing in, giving my face a refreshing spray of cool water.  The day was hot but not uncomfortable as it often is along the Baja peninsula’s west coast.  After gathering a satisfying number of crabs, mussels, and snails, I climbed back up the short, rocky cliff to the perch where our campsite was proudly positioned.  
Playa Saldamando gave us exactly what we were looking for; a quiet, friendly, beautiful, accommodating, yet inexpensive campsite to spend a long weekend enjoying one of the most beautiful coastlines in the world.  Located almost an hour’s drive south of Tijuana, Playa Saldamando is perfect for Southern California residents and vacationers alike.  A ten minute drive south brings you to the city of Ensenada where you’ll find a healthy array of restaurants, bars, and street shopping.
After our primitive escapade as hunters and gatherers we enjoyed the “real food” we brought with us.  Sitting on a roost above the ocean below, listening to the waves gently crash on shore, and watching the spectacular sunset, I enjoyed a soothing beer with my friends as we surrounded a crackling fire. 


After the sun disappeared we were paid a visit by George Saldamando himself.  He relishes the experience of milling about the campsite to make sure all of his guests are enjoying themselves and finding everything they need.   Before we knew it, he was pulling up his truck to provide music for our little party. Next, he broke out a bottle of particularly nice tequila, and began sharing with us the history of his campsite, which he created entirely by himself.  The government was currently attempting to buy the ocean front rights for the mile of coastline he owns.  “I’ll never sell it!” he exclaimed.  “I need to keep this place nice for my visitors,” he said as he poured out the last of his “grade A” tequila in a glass for me.  After the bottle went dry, George bid us farewell and hopped into his truck to tend to the other guests.

This relaxed laughter-filled night reminiscing with fire embraced companions will never fade from my memory.  At Playa Saldamando the campers truly feel as though they are guests in George’s home.  The next morning we all made a promise to come back someday as we meandered up the dirt path leading away from the ocean……

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

About adventure_monkey


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.