Existing Member?

Borrowed World Time can stand still when you pause to take a photo, life moving at a rate to fast to remember. Only moments caught on camera last long enough for us to hold on to what once was....adora

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Saturday, 21 April 2012 | Views [424] | Scholarship Entry

New Years Day, I awoke to blissful chanting from nearby temples that surround a small village in Thong Pha Plum, Thailand. Intrigued and curious, I jump to my feet to explore this alluring mysterious vibrating melody. With every cautious step, not a soul in sight, I found the peacefulness of the village profoundly surreal. A sense of healing was received from the crisp air that filled my lungs.The chanting led me to the town centre were the most beautiful act of kindness was displayed. Sun rays danced over the town,people of Thong Pha Plum were preparing for an event taking place that morning. It was hard not to get excited, as their faces were glowing with elevated spirits.Their laughter was infectious and their happiness was radiating.I thought to myself, "what's with all the fuss?” Local police were directing the traffic to keep the road clear. I chuckled, as their efforts were to no prevail.The colorful pots of curry, sizzling aromatically, filling the town with hunger pains, presented the Mon culture of Thong Pha Plum.Tables were arranged side by side by the men, were the women and children placed food on the tables. An array of oils, spices, rice, noodles, canned foods, anything that could be preserved, was also presented.As the first bus arrived, the locals fell silent. The guests were the Buddhist monks.The monks wore plain saffron (ochre) robes, reddish yellow in color, called Kasaya. They walk bare foot and shave their heads, as a part of showing their devotion and commitment, displaying their lack of vanity. What the town people can spare is donated to the monks, for their ongoing rituals of meditation and blessings for peace.I suddenly realized how much I loved this moment. Being apart of this important event and bringing to light those wonderful people and traditions who are everywhere we go. As I had this inspiring revelation, a butterfly sat on my shoulder.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.