Existing Member?

One Step At A Time Solo Travel

Spending cash in Yixing

CHINA | Friday, 7 November 2014 | Views [392]

I stopped yesterday in Yixing county for about 5 hours on my way to Tai'An by bullet train. Yixing is known for it's zisha clay teapots and other pottery things. It wasn't on my list before until I rediscovered that I wanted to go there because I always wanted to see the teapot craftsmen work and to buy a real yixing tea pot.

 

Well I was in luck! When asking about going to the factory and maybe buying a teapot the girl at the train station tourism counter knew how I could do that all in time to catch the train out. Her boyfriend is the son of a senior craftsmen and his wife who also makes tea pots. Her boyfriend also graduated in computer programming but now pursues the family trade. I was so lucky that the horseshoe I mentioned yesterday must still be there.

 

The yixing factory in DingShu town is actually like a block of apartments or offices. It was not what I imagined. But it makes sense for handcrafted original designed teapots where everyone has their own style and prestige.

I got to see and learn about the teapot creation, have lunch and of course, tea, with this family. It was amazing! So much work goes into this art.

 

Since Lu Chao's father's work is highly collectable there was no way I could afford it. The best teapot, for display and not for sale actually, was around 100 000 rmb. He also keeps his original works to take to exhibition and gain awards and then use them as models for commissioned work. Luc Chao's mother makes smaller tea pots that are practical and classic styles. Since I planned to use the tea pot and Luc Chao already sold his completed work I bought one of his mother's. I told then I couldn't spend more than $300 (1600¥) worth. Even though the cheapest tea pot was around 3000¥ they were so generous and gave it to me for 1500¥.

 

My teapot even came with a certificate. Because I had become their friend over those 5 hours and had talked about tea and the teapot creation they had given me some yixing black tea, and their book. It was such an awesome day!

 

We all hope that I will come back to yixing and visit again. I could use more tea pots.

 

Even though I spent so much I still had some cash. But I was cutting it close to get to the train on time and I needed to buy the ticket. The ticket was more expensive than I had planned because they ran out of regular seats. After arriving in my hostel and paying for that too I had 8 jiao left. That's 15¢ CAD.

 

It was my most expensive day but sooooo worth it. I've been to the bank since but it is so nice to experience being broke but everything working out perfectly.

Tags: broke, teapot, yixing, zisha

About adaptive


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.