Existing Member?

One Step At A Time Solo Travel

Yak Butter Tea

CHINA | Thursday, 9 October 2014 | Views [459]

Yesterday was eventful. After waking up a bit nauseas and with a headache I got to have a "western breakfast" that Fabian and Santiago made for us. But it still tasted Chinese because of the oil the locals have that they used to cook the eggs with. It was still a good change from dumplings.

 

We walked to the edge of town where there was an awesome view and a bell tower and prayer wheel temple. I got to see real Tibetan Buddhism and locals with toddlers making their prayers. The people welcomed us in and I was allowed to spin the giant prayer wheel. I didn't take pictures because I felt that would be disrespectful.

 

Next we stopped for lunch but first I wanted to buy yak cheese. Or that's what I thought it was. First I asked for 20¥ worth... Then I clued it that it didn't look like cheese anymore. I tried a little piece before paying and then realized it was butter! I ended up buying 10¥ worth instead. This was now my opportunity to have yak butter tea.

 

We went to a Tibetan restaurant and I asked for them to use my butter for the butter tea. All you guys must be thinking: "Ravens two fave things, butter and tea!" Well as much as I like butter (and I drank a whole cup) I did not think butter tea would exclude the tea. I said to the others "this would be great with popcorn!"

 

Its not that bad but it definitely is not good if you are on a diet.

 

After that and having a nap we went to the monastery. Of course everything I was to see is under restoration. But we did get to go in to one of the temples which was amazing! There was also monks going about their business and all the kids were waving to us. Then we walked up a hill at sunset where farmers were herding their yaks down. It was beautiful and very worldly. I also ran into some cheeky kids who asked to take picture with the camera. They clearly ran into foreigners before because they knew how to use the camera and asked for candy.

 

A bit of a dirty camera is a small price to pay for awesome pictures with local kids. And when I did give them some snacks I had they had the nerve to ask for more! But they were nice kids and then their mother called for them because it was getting dark.

 

There was also a lunar eclipse last night that I got to see half of. All the kids in the neighborhood were howling and screaming at it until the moon was full again. 

I had a good time here despite the bit of altitude sickness, and not getting to ride horses. But seeing Tibetan people and everyone saying hello to us was awesome. 

 

Today we have a bus to take us to DaoCheng which has a famous national park. I'm not sure if I'll go to the park since it is pricey but well see.

Tags: butter tea, litang, monks

About adaptive


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.