Existing Member?

Roadtrip Australia: Van-Tastic QLD - ADAM AND HAMISH Hamish and Adam embark on the ultimate Aussie roadtrip as they motor around Queenland with Van-Tastic Adventures for six action-packed, free-wheeling weeks of adventure.

TRAIL BLAZERS, UNDERWATER SPACEMEN AND HELI FLOPPERS

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 18 August 2009 | Views [2016]

Our mission continues in Cairns to have a crack at as many adventure activities as possible.

We both have had pretty minimal experience riding horses so we figured we better start practicing for our next stunt which is to jump a horse over the Grand Canyon.

Our training started with the team at BLAZING SADDLES. They paired us up with our wild stallions that are normally reserved for highly experienced jockeys, cowboys and Indiana Jones.

We blazed trails through forests, over streams and through open fields. Even though we we couldn’t jump a juice box we managed to shift the horses into canter gear which was saddle slammingly sweet as. If you are interested in a more motorized form of adventure they also offer ATV tours through the bush. Thanks to Jackie and all the team for a great day.

http://www.blazingsaddles.com.au/

On the cards next was a day trip out to the Great Barrier Reef.

We linked up with the team from FOCUS who sorted us out with an underwater camera rig to document our journey. Our first destination was Green Island with GREAT ADVENTURES. It was time for our maiden voyage into outer space under the sea. SEAWALKERS are like an old school diving dome helmet that offers a 270 degree perspective. As soon as we hit the sea floor we got swarmed by one zillion tropical fish. 

It could only be compared to an underwater fish mosh pit.

http://www.greatadventures.com.au/

The Great Barrier Reef can be seen from space but it can also be viewed from a helicopter too. When the crew from GBR helicopters said they could fly us from Green Island out to the reef for a snorkel we flipped our lids. The aerial perspective is unparalleled and you truly appreciate just how beautiful this place is after flying over it.

http://www.gbrhelicopters.com.au/

The outer reef is the home to a green egg headed giant the we named Alfred James Worthington the 2nd. Alfred is a Maori Wrasse which is a type of fish, a very friendly type of fish as a matter of fact. We got up close and personal with him, played a game of cards and talked about the sharemarket. You are pretty much guaranteed to see him every time....... just remember don’t harass the wrasse.

Peace and Carrots

Adam and Hamish

Tags: adam rikys, adventures, blazing saddles, gbr helicopters, great barrier reef, hamish cross, maori wrasse, seawalkers, vantastic, world nomads

About adam_hamish


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.