Existing Member?

Roadtrip Australia: Van-Tastic QLD - ADAM AND HAMISH Hamish and Adam embark on the ultimate Aussie roadtrip as they motor around Queenland with Van-Tastic Adventures for six action-packed, free-wheeling weeks of adventure.

CAIRNS: A TROPICAL ADVENTURE TOWN

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 9 August 2009 | Views [2395] | Comments [1]

Just how many activities can two kiwi lads do in one week in Cairns?

Answer = Heaps bro

We think Cairns is like a tropical version of Queenstown in New Zealand. It has an adrenaline fueled smorgasbord of activities to choose from and it is our mission to tackle as many as possible in one week.

First up was a full day of white water rafting with the boys from RAGING THUNDER. You have the option of upgrading to the 'extreme' group when you sign up which we highly recommend. There is no waiting for other groups and you get to do a few more heart pumping rapids and drops that the other wussy groups can't handle. No offense to all the wussy groups.

We have done a few rafting trips before but this one takes the cake and eats it too. It is much more than just rafting. The crew will line you up with some rocks to jump/dive/flip off, waterfalls to shower under and a natural rockslide that holds you under the water at the bottom for up to 8 seconds before spitting you back up to the surface. This is a rafting trip well worth doing just make sure you go extreme. Cheers to our guide 'kiwi' and all the crew for a wuked day.

http://www.ragingthunder.com.au/

Next up we took the van on a two and a half hour roadie up the coast to a magic spot called CAPE TRIBULATION. Think a secluded rainforest village backing onto beautiful empty beaches. Our accommodation was THE FERNTREE which boasted two oasis like swimming pools surrounded by lush forest.

http://www.ferntreerainforestlodge.com.au/

Our second adventure activity was surfing without a surfboard. JUNGLE SURFING saw us swinging through the 20 metre high tree tops like spider monkeys. If you ever liked flying foxes as a kid this is a must do. They even let you zip down some of the lines together so you can get some sweet action shots of your amigos.

http://www.junglesurfing.com.au/location.html

On the way out of town there is a hidden gem in the rain forest that only the locals know about. We were privileged enough to witness it with our own eyes. We can't really tell you much more but if you do make it you will know what we are talking about. Good luck.

AJ HACKETT is the living legend that bought BUNGY JUMPING to the world. We were stoked to catch up with him at the bungy site in Cairns. He whipped up a jump style for us that is not normally permitted. It involved both of us simultaneously launching ourselves off the roof top of the jump platform. This is by far the best bungy jump we have ever done. If you ever make it to the Cairns bungy site we highly recommend you go roof top and ask to get wet. Cheers AJ.

http://www.ajhackett.com.au/

So after all the activities you really need a place to go to share your stories and sink a few. We have had the best tour guide ever to experience the Cairns nightlife. Brett from BACKPACKING QUEENSLAND is the big kahuna burger in town and has put us up in a sweet backpackers called CALYPSO.

http://www.calypsobackpackers.com.au/

Brett has shown us that Cairns knows how to party every night of the week. Yeeaaa Brett.

Here are a few bars that we recommend:

THE WOOLSHED, GILLIGAN'S, HERITAGE and RHINOBAR.

We have uploaded our first video of us getting right involved:

http://www.youtube.com/user/VanTasticRoadtrip

The second vid is coming soon.

We have got some horse riding and scuba diving on the cards over the next few days. WAM BAM THANK U JAM....ON TOAST

Peace and Carrots

Adam and Hamish

VANTASTIC QUEENSLAND

Tags: adam rikys, backpacking, cairns, fun, goodtime productions, hamish cross, queensland, travel trails, van-tastic adventures, world nomads

 

Comments

1

Hey guys lookin good so far....don't forget to drop in for a visit when ya get to Brisbane.

  Give us an inch and we will take a mile Aug 10, 2009 4:08 PM

About adam_hamish


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.