Existing Member?

Ace and Penny at Large

Finally getting off the tourist-trampled path

INDONESIA | Tuesday, 24 November 2015 | Views [373]

We're out of Ubud and up in the mountains at a not-nearly-as-luxurious hotel, but the good news is, we're finally in nature, which is what we do best.

Today we got somewhat lost in a winding trail up and down and in and out of jungle and fields filled with gladiolas (the big crop here) which was kind of cool. We were trying to find several fabled waterfalls and swimming holes without much to go on. We did end up finding one, which was actually a valley with countless waterfalls plunging into it. And that was cool. The hike there was about 5km down a very steep road and then another 1000meters down an almost perpendicular footpath. On our way back, we flagged down a couple dirtbikes and paid them 2 bucks each to take us on a terrifying but exhilarating ride back up the path. 

Right now we're plotting our next moves which a believe are looking like taking a ride to another area of the island and hanging out at a weird silent retreat place where the rice fields are supposed to be drop-dead gorgeous and the food supposed to blow your mind. There we'll listen to philosophy talks (not sure how this works at a silent retreat, but like I said, we think its going to be weird), do more yoga, and maybe even some meditation.

It just started raining here in Munduk . . .

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.